Autoride suspension help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks to me that the dorman compressor assembly comes with a new air
drying incorporated into it..: dorman #949099

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks to me that the dorman compressor assembly comes with a new air
drying incorporated into it..: dorman #949099
It might, I went with Arnott and it comes with a kit to rebuild the OEM one. I see in their instructions that it mounts to the compressor itself.

OP
OP
B

BH1989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate all the reply's. The new compressor came with a new dryer. Its all part of the housing. I would like to say that the shocks were replaced first then a new compressor. all within a week or so of each other. There are no leaks in the system that I can find. The compressor runs if I bypass the relay and jump power straight to it. relay checks out ok as well.

The new compressor ran twice when I first installed it over the weekend but will not run anymore. Shocks are still full of air, but even as I add weight to the rear of vehicle the compressor remains off.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the reply's. The new compressor came with a new dryer. Its all part of the housing. I would like to say that the shocks were replaced first then a new compressor. all within a week or so of each other. There are no leaks in the system that I can find. The compressor runs if I bypass the relay and jump power straight to it. relay checks out ok as well.

The new compressor ran twice when I first installed it over the weekend but will not run anymore. Shocks are still full of air, but even as I add weight to the rear of vehicle the compressor remains off.
It won’t run if there’s enough air already in the shocks. That’s why I suggested unhooking an air line, release the air, reattach the line and then start the truck to see if it comes on. If you keep adding air by jumping the compressor you might blow an air bladder. You are supposed to do what’s called an ALC reset and height calibration with a Tech2 after replacing the components. Most of the time you can get away without that but you might have the system confused at this point. Start over with no air in the system.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you might just have a bad pump, or like Mark said it's full and the relief valve isn't functioning which still means bad pump they (come as a whole assembly), I would take it back to where you purchased it and exchange it. Or you could just have a bad relay if the old pump was running constantly it could have caused the relay to fail also.
the pump should run each time you cycle the key for a few seconds. If you listen to it closely each time you cycle the key it first releases some air then pumps up the shocks to around 20-25 psi, if the key is on and you add weight to the rear of the vehicle it should automatically pump in more air to keep the vehicle level

OP
OP
B

BH1989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So when I first installed the new pump, I could here it release air when I started it for the first time. Since then it has not cycled at all. I have only jumped power once to test the compressor. I suspect it may be a bad release valve on the new compressor. I have a replacement on the way and will swap it out when it arrives.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when I first installed the new pump, I could here it release air when I started it for the first time. Since then it has not cycled at all. I have only jumped power once to test the compressor. I suspect it may be a bad release valve on the new compressor. I have a replacement on the way and will swap it out when it arrives.
That’s why I said the exhaust solenoid might not be working in my first post so pull a hose off at the shock and release the air from the system. Removing one hose lets the air out of both shocks since they’re connected with a T. Then reconnect the hose and start the truck and see if the compressor comes on. It only takes a couple minutes to do this, and you’ll know if you need to replace the compressor due to a bad exhaust solenoid.

OP
OP
B

BH1989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you might just have a bad pump, or like Mark said it's full and the relief valve isn't functioning which still means bad pump they (come as a whole assembly), I would take it back to where you purchased it and exchange it. Or you could just have a bad relay if the old pump was running constantly it could have caused the relay to fail also.
the pump should run each time you cycle the key for a few seconds. If you listen to it closely each time you cycle the key it first releases some air then pumps up the shocks to around 20-25 psi, if the key is on and you add weight to the rear of the vehicle it should automatically pump in more air to keep the vehicle level

That’s why I said the exhaust solenoid might not be working in my first post so pull a hose off at the shock and release the air from the system. Removing one hose lets the air out of both shocks since they’re connected with a T. Then reconnect the hose and start the truck and see if the compressor comes on. It only takes a couple minutes to do this, and you’ll know if you need to replace the compressor due to a bad exhaust solenoid.

Thanks for your time. I will post back once I can test this. Hopefully tonight

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure to report back after you do what Rocket Man said to do...
I have replaced my shocks with OEM delcos... Haven't had to do anything else.
I didn't do any resets or anything.. Just installed the shocks.. They were find, but
since I was going to be towing heavy, I just wanted to make sure all was up to *****

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork