Arnott MR3840?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, an update on these.

When I tried to submit for a refund on the defective shock, Rock Auto’s website said I could not return them because they are not supposed to fit on my vehicle (2018 Yukon XL). So, I tried to submit a return for the 2nd shock, this time saying that I installed it on a non-XL 2018 Yukon, and then the website allowed me to return it. So, I was sketchy on if they would actually refund my money when they got it back. I included a printed email from Arnott saying that they were a factory replacement for my vehicle. And, they did end up refunding my money.

When I submitted for a refund on the one faulty shock, they would not send a replacement, only issue a refund as an option. So, I ordered a 3rd MR3840. Having already done the two before, the third swapped in pretty quickly. And, after installing this new shock, my “service suspension” dash alert went away.

The truck rode a lot better when having the faulty shock in, when compared to the old, blown-out shocks. And, getting this replacement shock in and getting the suspension system activated improved the ride by quite a lot. Very noticeable, especially in corners, as others have said.

Then I got the rears replaced, and man does this thing ride like a dream again. I watched a couple youtube videos about replacing the rears and neither of them took off the wheel well covers. I would recommend taking them off. It is a handful of easy screws and makes the top bolt of the rear shocks much easier to access. And, I could work on it from a stool, rather than having to lay down on the ground and reach up the whole time. Easier on the shoulders, imo..

Anyway, I would recommend these Arnott MR3840s. A little pricier, but a good option for DIYers that want the OEM, magnetic ride quality without having to pay the dealership and arm and a leg.
What did you use on the rear?

idfresh1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What did you use on the rear?
I'm so glad to see this post. I've been dealing with the same confusion over the past couple months for my 2018 Yukon Denali xl. Couldn't figure out why they kept saying this coil over shock did not fit my Yukon but now I know it's because of the long wheelbase for some reason.
I bought 1 arnott mr 3840 on ebay and paid $655. I'm waiting for them to get back in stock at RockAuto since they are only $550 a piece there to do the other side.
I don't see how the front of an XL can be any heavier than the front of a standard wheelbase Denali with the same size engine. Makes no sense to me.

dmund001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I can’t see why these would be listed as fitting the shorter wheel base and not the longer one. Maybe the larger Denali/6.2 engine makes a difference. I’m not sure on the weight difference vs the 5.3, but I can’t imagine it is that much. And, if you load up the cargo in the longer wheel base, it seems like that weight will be mostly on the rear axle. Anyway, they are working great for me in my XL. My truck rides like new! :)

I did notice when looking at the “info” about the strut on rock auto, there is some postscript at the bottom of the page that struts ordered before July 2023 have a lifetime warranty, but those ordered after July 2023 only have 2 years.
Any update on the 3840s on your Yukon XL? Still liking them? Also, do you have the 5.3l or 6.2l? I spoke with Arnott today and was told that MR 3840 would not work for my yukon xl denali due to the wheelbase (as mentioned in this thread). So before I still go for them, i wanted real feedback from someone in a yukon xl or suburban Thanks!

dmund001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm so glad to see this post. I've been dealing with the same confusion over the past couple months for my 2018 Yukon Denali xl. Couldn't figure out why they kept saying this coil over shock did not fit my Yukon but now I know it's because of the long wheelbase for some reason.
I bought 1 arnott mr 3840 on ebay and paid $655. I'm waiting for them to get back in stock at RockAuto since they are only $550 a piece there to do the other side.
I don't see how the front of an XL can be any heavier than the front of a standard wheelbase Denali with the same size engine. Makes no sense to me.
Did you ever complete the install of the MR3840s on your yukon xl denali? And if so, how do you like them?

OP
OP
F

funnyguyMI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any update on the 3840s on your Yukon XL? Still liking them? Also, do you have the 5.3l or 6.2l? I spoke with Arnott today and was told that MR 3840 would not work for my yukon xl denali due to the wheelbase (as mentioned in this thread). So before I still go for them, i wanted real feedback from someone in a yukon xl or suburban Thanks!
No complaints from me. It rides like a dream. I think I’ve got 3-4k miles on the new suspension now. My truck is a XL Denali with the 6.2l engine. Hth!

dmund001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No complaints from me. It rides like a dream. I think I’ve got 3-4k miles on the new suspension now. My truck is a XL Denali with the 6.2l engine. Hth!
Awesome. Thanks for responding! Sounds like I can ignore the longer wheelbase concerns.

dmund001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry. Last follow up. In speaking with Arnott rep today, he said the ride height might be effected. Did you notice any difference in the front end being lower after install?

OP
OP
F

funnyguyMI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn’t notice any difference in ride height. I didn’t take any measurements before or after though. The stance still has a bit of a rake to it, with the back sitting higher. But, looking at stock photos online, that seems to be how it is supposed to sit. Rides great in the corners and handles bumps great. I did replace my rear shocks (with gm oem mag ride shocks) as well as the front too, fwiw.

Pull the trigger. You won’t be disappointed. And, relatively easy diy job too. Sure beats paying the stealership thousands to rebuild the old ones!

I did notice a knocking sound over bumps recently. I had to take the truck in to a shop for a fuel injector failure (that also sucked and was not cheap!). They looked into the knock and found that I didn’t torque one of the front strut top nuts down fully. Those nuts are single use. So, make sure to torque them down. You should be able to find the specs online somewhere.

dmund001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn’t notice any difference in ride height. I didn’t take any measurements before or after though. The stance still has a bit of a rake to it, with the back sitting higher. But, looking at stock photos online, that seems to be how it is supposed to sit. Rides great in the corners and handles bumps great. I did replace my rear shocks (with gm oem mag ride shocks) as well as the front too, fwiw.

Pull the trigger. You won’t be disappointed. And, relatively easy diy job too. Sure beats paying the stealership thousands to rebuild the old ones!

I did notice a knocking sound over bumps recently. I had to take the truck in to a shop for a fuel injector failure (that also sucked and was not cheap!). They looked into the knock and found that I didn’t torque one of the front strut top nuts down fully. Those nuts are single use. So, make sure to torque them down. You should be able to find the specs online somewhere.
Thank you so much! I literally just pulled the trigger and ordered all four. I definitely wanted to keep the magneride option over the passive replacements (because isn’t that part of why we bought the Denali?!?!). I would not of ordered these without you recording your experience on this forum, so much appreciated. And thanks for the tips. By the way, if leveling ever becomes an issue, or if you wanted to get rid of the rake, I came across a leveling kit specifically made for Yukons with magneride during all this research. Link: https://suspensionmaxx.com/leveling-kits?make=GMC&year=2017&model=Yukon||Denali&category_id=4

Once I get everything installed, and after I drive it for a couple of days, I’ll decide on whether or not to purchase one of these leveling kits. Looks super easy to install and I like that it comes with the adjustment bracket for the sensor to keep the magneride functioning properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660