Anyone thought of or done an LS swap into a OBS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. I'm looking at 2 door Tahoe's and Yukon's and sometimes come across a pre-1996 Truck that looks good but I'm always like damn, no Vortec. 50 less horsepower. But I was wondering instead if swapping in a 5.3 would be relatively easy. Complete motor with trans and pcm of course.

All LS based motors are identicle, whether its a 5.3 or LS1. Installation is all the same as well.
If you want reliable easy HP, go with an LS based motor.
Marine manifolds are over rated. A member here used to have a marine swapped Whippled Vortec with heads and internals and only made 350rwhp. He has since gone to a LQ9. To me, thats rediculous. Do that to any LS based motor and you would have 700 easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matt06Yukon

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well IMO it doesn't take a lot to get another 50 ponies out of the Vortec. <<<This is coming from someone who sold my Pro-Charger Set-Up with bolts on to fund my LS.

Only weak point in the Vortec is the Spyder Unit...either get the updated one or convert to marine.

Reason why I went LS...alot easier NOT CHEAPER to make 500-600hp. Big point to me was FUEL INJECTION.

I know. I was talking about the pre-Vortec, the 200 hp 350 version. The standard 96+ Vortec I'm happy with, nice platform to work with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mich2024