Antennas sticking outa my tires!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM Flashcal For Truck - 2545
View attachment 226474
So much mixed information and conflicting data about this product, we know that its indeed capable of turning off the AFM but I cant get a strait answer as to if it will disable the TPMS.

The pic on the left is taken from the manual and there is clearly a "Delete TPMS" option. The pic on the right is from a video review on YT, when he gets to the same menu, the selections are different and look like the only options for TPMS are to adjust front and rear psi levels but not an option for delete.
View attachment 226475

You'd have to call. It's a government thing so most companies aren't going to advertise ways to "break the law" for fear of the boot of govment' on their necks!

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brandon, why are you using metal valve stems? While I bought 4 new factory takeoffs, I only replaced them as they failed. That was dumb as now I had to pay to dismount the new tires just months after putting them on.

Also learned that to reset sensors, all other sensors, vehicles and remotes had to be kept far away from the host vehicle. The sensors are supposed to last ten years but my truck had the original 4 replaced about 13 months after it was built and then 2 of those were replaced less than six months later. So those lasted an average of seven years and my new ones are now three and a half years old. I figured on replacing them all when we put new tires on in the next year or so.

I reckon though that if you use GM sensors with the rubber stems, they should last at least 3 years up there. Prices have come way way down too. I paid less than $50 for my OE 2016 take-off sensors in 2017 and have seen even better deals since.

Hey James :happy160: Most tire shops are using the VDO SE1001HP Redi TPMS because they are quick and come pre-programmed for relearn. While they do offer them in the rubber stem configuration, they dont seem to be using them for some reason. Maybe they break more often when installing them? I dont know.. Either way, rubber or not, the batteries just dont last long in our climate. OEM sensors can cost $100+ each but the Redi brand and after markets sensors are $30 apiece. I think most people simply dont have a clue as to what is involved in the programming or relearning but tire shops portray it as rocket science and charge crazy amounts for this service.

clamp-in-slider.png

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many people complain about getting old stock sensors installed and in result, having to change them soon after. But is this really a thing?
This poses many question as well, do non-sleep sensors transmit the entire time while being stored or warehoused? or do they have to be "woke" with a magnet or programmer before they transmit? Do non-sleep TPMS exist anymore or were they the first gen TPMS?
What am I going to end up with in my car or truck when I take it to Joe Shmoe tire shop?
What am I going to end up with if I buy from E-Bay or Amazone? New or old stock?

Another nail in the coffin for me and TPMS. Just another reason to delete this system all together!

39164.jpg

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm siding with @Doubeleive on his notion that the TPMS disable feature is only on non-US programmers. Maybe someone in Canada can hook you up? It's not mandated over there.

I did a little searching and the only mention of TPMS disabling with the Flashcal that I saw was for Jeeps. Maybe it's a Jeep thing, and you're just not understanding it? :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm siding with @Doubeleive on his notion that the TPMS disable feature is only on non-US programmers. Maybe someone in Canada can hook you up? It's not mandated over there.

I did a little searching and the only mention of TPMS disabling with the Flashcal that I saw was for Jeeps. Maybe it's a Jeep thing, and you're just not understanding it? :p

HAHA, yeah I saw that the jeep guys were downloading some "off-road" Flashcal file that completely deleted the TPM system. I couldn't find the download online but I think it may be available when you plug in your Flashcal and update the firmware version. Pretty sure they have a page that contains a bunch of downloadable extras, some you pay for and some you dont..

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score

fake.jpg

I they are OEM style but not OEM. I see this on Amazon as well, but if you read the feedback people say they are clearly not OEM once they receive them and they come in generic bags.

Its a crap shoot.

I do believe that even some of the aftermarket ones are just as good or better than OEM..
but again, you never know what your really going to get...

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 226481

I they are OEM style but not OEM. I see this on Amazon as well, but if you read the feedback people say they are clearly not OEM once they receive them and they come in generic bags.

Its a crap shoot.

I do believe that even some of the aftermarket ones are just as good or better than OEM..
but again, you never know what your really going to get...

I meant that as an example and purposely excluded overseas sellers, oh well. Others gave good reviews though. Well, maybe these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-TPMS-S...V:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateEnvelope!34953!US!-1

When it is time for us again, I'll look for US Seller and good reviews and oem packaging a plus.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant that as an example and purposely excluded overseas sellers, oh well. Others gave good reviews though. Well, maybe these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-TPMS-S...V:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateEnvelope!34953!US!-1

When it is time for us again, I'll look for US Seller and good reviews and oem packaging a plus.

It has definitely created a market for counterfeiters and overall confusion for the buyer thats for sure. .....another nail in the coffin....

https://www.tpmscentre.co.uk/blogs/news/70850437-counterfeit-tpms-sensors

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im waiting for the "You're too fat to operate this vehicle" sensor...

no-fat-people-sign.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts