Another pad and rotor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pcwizard2600

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've read some of the previous posts regarding this, but looking for fresh information. 2009 Tahoe LTZ, looking for recommendations on a pad and rotor upgrade. i see a lot like the Powerstop products. I'm old enough to remember that you may replace rotors once in the lifetime of the vehicle, but seems like every chevy truck I've had for the past 10 - 15 years years, I have to do rotors everytime it needs pads. I have no complaints on stopping power, just looking for a product that lasts better over the standard oem auto parts replacements.
Also, thoughts on drilled and slotted vs. not.

Thanks,
Pat

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read some of the previous posts regarding this, but looking for fresh information. 2009 Tahoe LTZ, looking for recommendations on a pad and rotor upgrade. i see a lot like the Powerstop products. I'm old enough to remember that you may replace rotors once in the lifetime of the vehicle, but seems like every chevy truck I've had for the past 10 - 15 years years, I have to do rotors everytime it needs pads. I have no complaints on stopping power, just looking for a product that lasts better over the standard oem auto parts replacements.
Also, thoughts on drilled and slotted vs. not.

Thanks,
Pat

I don't think you'll find anything that last longer than GM OE but you will find some sets of pads that stop better. My original set of rotors lasted over 100K miles. GM OE is not the same as ACDelco Professional.

I just learned the hard way Patrick about not replacing my calipers at the same time. We replaced the rear rotors and pads at 121K and the front rotors and pads at 136K miles. Then about six months ago one caliper acted up, we greased the slides and everything was fine until one day the same offender locked up and smoked the pads and rotor up front. When I tested the rears, they were still working ok, had a little resistance on one of them, one side was worn down 1mm more than the other, so I rebuilt them both but got brand new ones up front. I used all GM OE parts which for the rotors and calipers are currently Akebono. Also replaced the front brake lines as they were really inexpensive but frankly they were in great condition, now they are spares. Took 6 quarts to flush and bleed the system, even doing an ABS Bleed with my Tech-2.

Look at my Useless Information thread for tools and torque specs used. Many, if not all of the part numbers will or should be the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts