another E-fan thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sschrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BOSS,

The way I understood it was, 03+ trucks were able to have the PCM switched to control the fans. I have a 02. The thermostat (for the fans) I purchased was just a general one, for any e fan set up. But you can set it to come on at different temps.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
if there isnt any change in power or MPG's, then what is the point to doing this mod?

sschrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure there is in MPG, I just have not checked mine yet. The old clutch fan is heavy. Freezing cold AC while sitting in traffic is worth it if that's the only thing it accomplishes.

That and its so much quieter. Doesn't sound like a big deal, it made a difference for me though. It's almost like using dynamat, if that makes sense.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
I have a set of the 05+ fans sitting in my basement awaiting a harness, should net some decent power and a solid 1mpg maybe more. I just wanted to clear out the engine bay, never like the clutch fans either. If you can't find any at the junkyards just buy the ones off ebay, $225 isn't bad for new parts.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
yea, i am certain i can find one.... i have a buddy who is willing to swap my clutch fan for his e-fans since its out of his work truck and he doesnt pay for gas... i am trying to work out the legistics of that though, not sure on the whole swapping my fan back into his ride and how thats going to work

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BOSS,

The way I understood it was, 03+ trucks were able to have the PCM switched to control the fans. I have a 02. The thermostat (for the fans) I purchased was just a general one, for any e fan set up. But you can set it to come on at different temps.

I thought the 02 models could have the pcm changed to control the fans? Can someone confirm this? Jenna?

BOSS

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ttt

boss

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

However, when you say consider the overdrive pulley, will that just add the same "pull" to the motor that i am trying to lose by doing this mod? And if that is te case, why is this still a good mod?

Anybody know the answer to this?

I'm still researchign and trying to find out if 2002 PCM and thermo will operate the efans.

BOSS

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
thats AWSOME, i was really not looking forward to having to wait for another new PCM so i could run my e-fans. I can never say enough good things about Black Bear...

anyways, regarding the alternator. I am really doing this mod for the MPG gain as i cant see it giving me much more then a couple of HP. However, when you say consider the overdrive pulley, will that just add the same "pull" to the motor that i am trying to lose by doing this mod? And if that is te case, why is this still a good mod?
The pulley helps with your idle amperage since you have an 105amp alternator. There is nothing to lose with the pulley.

So the thermostat is different for the 2002 model?? I'm confused now...I thought by using the harness and the PCM efan switched on, you don't ahve to do shi!t else. It seemed JKs way was to ensure when the AC clutch kicked in, the efan would also.

?
BOSS

The 99+ models can control the e-fans, you just have to have the PINs turned on. What sschrader may be thinking about is the dual pin set up. The PCM only had the capability for the dual pin setup in the 03+ models. The 2 PINs allow for dual speed via the PCM.

if there isnt any change in power or MPG's, then what is the point to doing this mod?
You should notice a change in both, but don't expect anything too drastic.

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
i am going to try and pull a set of E-fans from an 05-06 model from a junk yard ASAP... i need to know what all I need to make sure i pull with them... also, once i pull the fans, will i need to buy anything else?

also, when removing the belt driven fan, is pulling the blade off all that is needed? or does something need to be disengaged

if it's not too late pull the radiator too as it's the larger radiator in the 05+ and the fans will bolt right up to it. you don't need a special tool to pull the clutch fan. i used a large pipe wrench and a hammer to whack the handle of the wrench to loosen the fan on my 99. used the same method to put it back on before i sold the truck and removed the fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mccubbinsjl