another E-fan thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
i am going to try and pull a set of E-fans from an 05-06 model from a junk yard ASAP... i need to know what all I need to make sure i pull with them... also, once i pull the fans, will i need to buy anything else?

also, when removing the belt driven fan, is pulling the blade off all that is needed? or does something need to be disengaged

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
Get the fans, wire harness and related wiring.

You're going to need to get a fan clutch removal tool to remove the fan from your truck.

Also before you wire up your fans, it would be a good idea to have a BB tune to activate the appropriate pin out on your ECM.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
fan clutch removal tool ey... how much would one of these run me?

I have a BB tune, am i going to need to have him ship me an all new PCM? maybe i am going to need to direct a few questions his way.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
ok... now lets play the swap game for a second. I have a friend who has a 2005 chevy work truck w/ the 4.8L. He has agreed to let me swap my fan over to his and his to mine for $100...

I am going to take him up on this offer assuming it wont cost me anything other then the $100. here are my questions

Is there a problem going from e-fan to standard belt driven fan? What is required to go from having the e-fans to having belt driven fan?

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
Not so much a problem as far as I can see. There may be a service engine light on your part, if the ECM sends a command to turn on the fans and then the ECM doesnt get confirmation. However, I do not think our ECM's are that smart.

The only other thing you may notice is a small maybe even barely noticeable decrease in H.P. and maybe a little more fuel consumption. As it does take energy to turn the fan.

A little bit of insurance, if you're going this route, you might want to replace the fan clutch as that would be the most oppurtune time to do so.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
E-fans is a very good mod for these trucks that didn't have them stock. You will need the wiring harness for them, if you can't find one, we sell them. Another thing to consider, is your alternator. These older trucks without the fans from factory had a lower amp alternator, to compensate for that, you may want to consider the overdrive pulley.

Double check with Justin on your tune, but I am 99.9% positive that your PINs are probably already turned on. He usually does this on all his tunes to save customers the hassle down the road.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
E-fans is a very good mod for these trucks that didn't have them stock. You will need the wiring harness for them, if you can't find one, we sell them. Another thing to consider, is your alternator. These older trucks without the fans from factory had a lower amp alternator, to compensate for that, you may want to consider the overdrive pulley.

Double check with Justin on your tune, but I am 99.9% positive that your PINs are probably already turned on. He usually does this on all his tunes to save customers the hassle down the road.

thats AWSOME, i was really not looking forward to having to wait for another new PCM so i could run my e-fans. I can never say enough good things about Black Bear...

anyways, regarding the alternator. I am really doing this mod for the MPG gain as i cant see it giving me much more then a couple of HP. However, when you say consider the overdrive pulley, will that just add the same "pull" to the motor that i am trying to lose by doing this mod? And if that is te case, why is this still a good mod?

sschrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the e fans on mine (02) about 2 weeks ago. I have the older PCM so I went JK's route, I bought a e fan thermostat and wired that in. Works perfect. It turns on right when it should, and will come on instantly if you turn the AC on. Your newer model you won't have to worry about the aftermarket thermostat. It's so much quieter, I wish I would have done it earlier. As far as the power, I didn't really notice anything, like I said, just seems quieter in the truck. Plus there is so much more room in the engine bay.

I have yet to check my MPG. When the stereo (1000W amp and 2 - 12's) and e fans are on, the volt gauge drops a little, but never under 14v.

Hurry up and do it!

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did the e fans on mine (02) about 2 weeks ago. I have the older PCM so I went JK's route, I bought a e fan thermostat and wired that in. Works perfect. It turns on right when it should, and will come on instantly if you turn the AC on. Your newer model you won't have to worry about the aftermarket thermostat.

So the thermostat is different for the 2002 model?? I'm confused now...I thought by using the harness and the PCM efan switched on, you don't ahve to do shi!t else. It seemed JKs way was to ensure when the AC clutch kicked in, the efan would also.

?
BOSS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia