Annual oil changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George Owens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody here use that oil that can last a year? I have to admit I am curious

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Not really interested in that. Haven't even looked at it at the stores what kind of price level that is at.

Call me old school, set in my ways and what not, but I don't mind doing oil change 2-3 times a year, depending on how many miles are being racked up. Gives me a chance to give the underside a good once over, too.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run full snythetic in my trucks, at 5,000 mile change intervals. However long that takes, that's when I change the oil. Be it two weeks or 12 months.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing oil is more than about oil breaking down. Water vapour will condense inside the engine slowly contaminating the oil. A little carbon dioxide will slip past the rings during the combustion stroke, mix with any moisture and form carbonic acid. A little gasoline will slip past the rings during the compression stroke and mix with the oil. These contaminants themselves won't be caught by the oil filter, but will still affect the lubrication properties of the oil. This is why I'd change my oil more frequently than less.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change mine about every 8 to 12 months, depending on how much I drive. The oil in my truck right now was poured into my engine in December 2016, which was about 7,000 miles ago. I'm about due for a change pretty soon. I run Amsoil XL Series synthetic oil in my truck and I change it about every 7500-8000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia