Aluminum radiator woes - fresh problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doubtful the radiator shop that has been here in town since forever (literally) and that repairs radaitors (all kinds) was pretty astute in stating that the aluminum radiators ALL brands, makes, models will leak in a year, if not shortly after. based on numerous reports on the forum and elsewhere online this appears to be the case with few exceptions.
I was going to have mine repaired but the leak was in a unrepairable location. (corner edge between where the flutes and tank meet)

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running aluminum radiator for years and have never had any problems
like described.. I'm also a stickler for maint and which/what products I run in
my cooling systems. Most vehicles come from the factory with alum radiators
even though the side tanks are plastic of some sort these days..
I've had my all alum radiator in my stepside truck for over 12 years and and
all alum radiator in my Monte Carlo SS for longer than that..

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Ordered 2/16/2022, but I probably didn't install it for a week or two after receiving it because of winter weather. I could check my post history....

But, it's less than 18 months old.
ColdCase radiator?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
and i heard that pure undilluted coolant lacks the antifreeze properties until it's mixed with water.
I don't recall where i heard that, but it made sense.
I always buy that stuff and mix i with distilled water, I understand that the premix stuff is just plain water so eww etc.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running aluminum radiator for years and have never had any problems
like described.. I'm also a stickler for maint and which/what products I run in
my cooling systems. Most vehicles come from the factory with alum radiators
even though the side tanks are plastic of some sort these days..
I've had my all alum radiator in my stepside truck for over 12 years and and
all alum radiator in my Monte Carlo SS for longer than that..
mishimoto here with no problems lol
can prob go check and see when i bought it been its been a few years easily
plain ol 50/50 yellow prestone probably premix

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doubtful the radiator shop that has been here in town since forever (literally) and that repairs radaitors (all kinds) was pretty astute in stating that the aluminum radiators ALL brands, makes, models will leak in a year, if not shortly after. based on numerous reports on the forum and elsewhere online this appears to be the case with few exceptions.
I was going to have mine repaired but the leak was in a unrepairable location. (corner edge between where the flutes and tank meet)

that's absolutely untrue.. I have run alum radiators in industrial equipment for years and years.. the well made ones never give a problem and these things literally never get a coolent flush till something leaks haha. and the fluid used is random, no one even checks it matches what's already in there when topped off. we've got red mixed with green here for some reason. one shop did finally get some attention when whatever they added turned the whole thing to gell inside a big one that cost a lot of down time removing and repairing.

the corvette boards are full of guys running DeWitt aluminum radiators. you let one of those fail in their lifetime and you'll never hear the end of it on the boards if a 800$ radiator fails. haha. I've got a used one off ebay from a front end wrecked car in mine,
it was packed horribly, looked like it fell off a cliff and actually broke off one of the small hose ends and the big ones weren't round anymore. beat those back round with a ball peen hammer, dropped it off at a radiator shop to have them weld the small nipple back on, pressure tested it and threw it in the car. it's been good 2 years in there, no clue on the miles but a decent amount, track day and mountain runs.

just because a radiator is aluminum is no excuse for it to fail any sooner than anything else. this is just shooty build quality.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's absolutely untrue.. I have run alum radiators in industrial equipment for years and years.. the well made ones never give a problem and these things literally never get a coolent flush till something leaks haha. and the fluid used is random, no one even checks it matches what's already in there when topped off. we've got red mixed with green here for some reason. one shop did finally get some attention when whatever they added turned the whole thing to gell inside a big one that cost a lot of down time removing and repairing.

the corvette boards are full of guys running DeWitt aluminum radiators. you let one of those fail in their lifetime and you'll never hear the end of it on the boards if a 800$ radiator fails. haha. I've got a used one off ebay from a front end wrecked car in mine,
it was packed horribly, looked like it fell off a cliff and actually broke off one of the small hose ends and the big ones weren't round anymore. beat those back round with a ball peen hammer, dropped it off at a radiator shop to have them weld the small nipple back on, pressure tested it and threw it in the car. it's been good 2 years in there, no clue on the miles but a decent amount, track day and mountain runs.

just because a radiator is aluminum is no excuse for it to fail any sooner than anything else. this is just shooty build quality.
may be the case for certain brands or use, and ya I'm sure not every single one breaks, but this shop has like 8 stations in there going repairing guess what? aluminum radiators
they could have fixed mine if it had broken pretty much anywhere else than the tank seam. they do a lot of industrial and farm equipment work
radddd.JPG