Heater problem...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check if the thermostat was removed?

2001tahoefuentes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im having this same problem with my 2001 tahoe hopefully somebody comes up with sumthing cus it sucks in the cold weather

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If the right forward coolant passage on the manifold was blocked the right bank would burn up big time. I think you have a blockage of some sort or a defective or non operating water valve or vacuum switch that controls it.

OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heater control valve was bypassed, no change; as for blockage, that could very well be the case. Gonna power flush the ****** today and see what happens...

OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as it turns out, there is absolutely no blockage in the entire cooling system but I did find what may be the culprit for the lack of heater core coolant circulation, the radiator is leaking on the driver side tank on the upper corner by the shroud. This is no small leak whatsoever and explains why the coolant level was always a few inches below top of the filler neck. I was able to tell coolant was escaping somewhere because of the notorious antifreeze smell that was constant while the engine was running, but never enough to cause a drip under the vehicle. On the lookout for a replacement radiator now and hoping the heater works after the new one goes in. This also explains the gurgling I could hear from inside the truck! So if the rad is getting replaced, is there an upgraded unit to throw in there? The original is a one core AL with plastic tanks, maybe I could go with an all AL unit, what y'all think?

Last edited:
OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and got a OEM replacement radiator, for only 85 bucks on ebay with oil and tranny coolers! Once the weather improves I will install it as well as a efan setup, that better get the heater issue resolved because I'm running out of ideas on this beast. I will report findings soon, carry on...

jesse53

Reaction score
I bet that solves the problem, even one half of a gallon low in system can cause no heat. I see this all the time at my car lot I work at.

OP
OP
zomeizter

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced defective radiator in hopes of restoring heater operation but the issue is still present, and then some, here's what's going on now:
When I bring the engine up to normal operating temperature and hit about 200 degrees, the coolant overflow begins to fill up with coolant and stays like that while the engine keeps running. When I shut off the engine, all excess coolant that went to the overflow begins to go back to the radiator nice and steady and the level in the overflow goes back to the full mark. I verified proper belt routing, WP turns counterclockwise as it should. Since I'm still warmed up I'm gonna proceed by removing the WP to make sure all is well with it, and I will check and/or replace the T-stat and see what I find. If anyone has any ideas on what the hell is going on with the beast, holler away!

2001tahoefuentes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem i did sum research and i found a solution it is the heater core sum way sum how it still clogged even tho you flushed it so i went to home depot bought a thing of crl and cut both hoses goin to the heater core and poured some crl in the heater core and let it sit in there for atleast 20 minutes then flushed it out and it worked i have heat now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia