Aluminum bodies by 2018? Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM users a lot of aluminum now, just because they are doing more doesn't mean the entire vehicle will be all aluminum. Regardless, if GM and Ford are going aluminum focused, I'm sure construction quality and body shop rates will make the differences neglagable for the consumer.

rabbiporkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if they would galvanize the frames.
I look forward to an aluminum bodied Chevy Tahoe.

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expect Magnesium & Carbon Fiber parts as well. 3 new Magnesium sheeting lines are now making stuff wide enough to stamp body-in-whites out of. Thank Obama for making everything expensive, the 2025 Cafe Standard requiring 54.5mpg for the fleet average is making them do everything they can....including the V8 going away at some point. :(

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Body shop will suck if they move solely to Aluminum, but I doubt they will. Hoods, tailgates, front fenders etc. probably. Entire cab, bed - I doubt it. GM Has always been the smartest engineered truck the way things are put together - I can say this having worked on thousands of GM, Ford & Dodge trucks. I dont think they will screw that up by going 100% aluminum for the body / bed.

Frames will most likely remain steel. Can't straighten an aluminum frame like a steel frame.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see all aluminum happening, and sooner rather than later.
Funny how GM is touting the strength of "rolled steel" as an attempt to combat the new Ford.
Sooner or later, weight savings will be on the forefront for all of the automakers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo