Afm not working correctly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
87 is better then 85 meaning it should be fine it's not a classic car it doesn't deserve it or the engine would've been gone a long time ago amen boom
only use premium bro... 87 will damage the engines overtime regardless of what GM says.... knock sensors are not an ideal substitute for premium gas.. this is also off set by HIGHER MPG i get 20city/ 25 mpg with premium fuel(results may vary per weather and terrain conditions) 87 oct i only get 18/18mpg

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
E85 is 85% ethanol, not 85 octane.

My opinion manual says 87 and that’s good enough for me. I’m pretty certain Uncle Sam didn’t put high octane in mine when they owned it.

Prior trucks with 5.3 and 6.0 I tuned personally with HPT, and I was not seeing spark knock with factory timing on regular gas.

But I’m always open to learning something new...

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E85 is 85% ethanol, not 85 octane.

My opinion manual says 87 and that’s good enough for me. I’m pretty certain Uncle Sam didn’t put high octane in mine when they owned it.

Prior trucks with 5.3 and 6.0 I tuned personally with HPT, and I was not seeing spark knock with factory timing on regular gas.

But I’m always open to learning something new...
people all ready compared tear downs with 87 and 91/93oct

the 87 octane had more internal wear and tear... it's also cheaper to run 91+ on the hybrid because of the MPG boost... AFM actually works as GM intended

87 octane is NOT compatible with Active Fuel Engagement

also AFM hyper cycles with 87 octane which equates to more DAMAGE and wear...

AFM works as intended with 91+ octane

with 91 octane you can actually accelerate under AFM

PROOF

0.228 on 91 octane @20mpg City

0.202--0.184 on 91 octane @23-25mpg Highway

0.2316 on 87 octane @ 18/18mpg

no brainier to use 91 octane

this makes 87 octane the loser

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope why the hell they call it flex fuel then it's just getting regular unleaded if anything I'll remove the disabler if it gives me problems
This is another reason why your AFM doesn't turn on as frequently as it should, you are running low octane fuel that produces less power.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW guys mines not a full on hybrid just flex fuel
Well you posted in the hybrid section. If you don’t really care how long your engine lasts or his much it costs to rebuild it, then by all means run regular. I mean, why listen to people who might know what they’re talking about, right?:lol2:

OP
OP
A

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you posted in the hybrid section. If you don’t really care how long your engine lasts or his much it costs to rebuild it, then by all means run regular. I mean, why listen to people who might know what they’re talking about, right?:lol2:
Well its not like I'm ignoring it.. I'm taking care of it, oil changes everytime it needs coolent changes and I have put a full tank of premium in it no diff plus I would never drive a plug in hybrid just my say

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98