Advice on putting a system together?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes, I am hoping to get some advice on a stereo setup. It has been a long time since I put a system together, about eight years ago in my old '94 Caprice 9C1. Had a Pioneer HU, JBL speakers and twin DUAL 12's in a ported box. It wasn't the nicest setup but it hit hard and set car alarms off.

Budget: $500 give or take...
Tahoe is stock, fronts are blown and it basically sounds like shit all around. Looking for a HU that can do iPod/iPhone, aux, etc. How is this one? http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105KDA725/JVC-Arsenal-KD-A725.html

Speakers, component or not and why? Brand-wise, I've ran JBL and Dual before, never had Kicker, Polk, or any other stuff. Not looking to make any modifications, just wanna replace the old stuff with new. Also, what about the tiny speakers in the front doors?

Amp and sub... Right now I am not leaning towards a sub cuz I need storage/cargo room. I don't need massive bass, or a huge setup, I have changed since I was a teenager and don't need to go deaf. Would it be wise to add an amp even though I might not have a sub? I dont want to regret not doing a sub later on though...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
for about $500 with some shopping you can get the front and rear speaker and amp I have below and add the sub later but no HU. If the head unit must be done then get the speeakers and HU and add amps and subs later. My f&r are rated at 125w rms.

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
look for a 5 channel amp, that will power all the doors and one sub...replace front doors with better components, and regular coax in rear. Even if you do this now, and can get a sub later with the rear portion of the 5 channel amp.

Skeletoy

Reaction score
Are you a fan of JVC? IMO there are nicer Clarion HU's for the same price. Although Crutchfield has oustanding customer service and support they are 10-25 bucks more expensive on most things.

I would go with speakers and a head unit first, an aftermarket HU should put out sufficient power for stock location speakers and you can always upgrade to an amp later, especially if you may get some subs.

OP
OP
HotCarl

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about running components in both front and back? Is it worth it, or should I just do component in the front doors and coaxial in the back doors? I am leaning toward either the Kicker KS6.2 or the Rockford Fosgate R1652-S... The Rockfords are cheaper and I am on a budget but I hear great things about Kicker.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Only run what what you can power. Running 150w continuous power speakers ain't no good if you are driving them with a stock head unit.

SPLmonster13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only run what what you can power. Running 150w continuous power speakers ain't no good if you are driving them with a stock head unit.

Couldnt agree more. Id personall say yeah do components front and rear and do a nice HU with plenty of output options. But a good HU and 2 sets of components with the amplifiers to power are really gonna be diggin into that $500

I think without a sub over powering your highs and mids you could get a good sound with some nice Co-Ax in atleast the front, probaly the rear doors. And get a good head unit and be in or around your budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401