Adding Garage Door opener

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hogfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2013 Yukon SLE and want to add the stock garage door opener(homelink). I have found a few roof consoles for other trim packages on Ebay with the garage door opener. I have not been able to find one with just the garage door opener. They have control buttons for the sunroof and/or power folding seats (which I have neither) Will this work? Has any one changed this out?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I can’t help with this one but welcome from Virginia. Others will chime in soon.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2013 Yukon SLE and want to add the stock garage door opener(homelink). I have found a few roof consoles for other trim packages on Ebay with the garage door opener. I have not been able to find one with just the garage door opener. They have control buttons for the sunroof and/or power folding seats (which I have neither) Will this work? Has any one changed this out?

Check out 22750009. Plug your VIN in at GMPartsDirect, go to BODY and OVERHEAD CONSOLE and have a look. The PN# I gave you is for a 2009, which may be slightly different but would fit.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with this specific question.

You've already seen one recommendation, and others will chime in with their suggestions.

Last edited:

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you park in your garage, the last thing you want to do is set up a HomeLink, because if somebody breaks in to your car they will have easy access to open your garage and help themselves to whatever they want. I took one of my openers apart and added a small momentary switch I got from HD for less than $3.00 and hid it in my truck. I did the same with my wife’s and all 3 of my kids cars. If you can solder, it will only take a few minutes to do each one. It will take you longer to figure out where to drill the hole and mount the button. I placed mine up high so I would have a longer range.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unless you park in your garage, the last thing you want to do is set up a HomeLink, because if somebody breaks in to your car they will have easy access to open your garage and help themselves to whatever they want. I took one of my openers apart and added a small momentary switch I got from HD for less than $3.00 and hid it in my truck. I did the same with my wife’s and all 3 of my kids cars. If you can solder, it will only take a few minutes to do each one. It will take you longer to figure out where to drill the hole and mount the button. I placed mine up high so I would have a longer range.

I don't understand what your momentary switch does. Are you modifying the opener controls or the HomeLink? Could you describe this in more detail for a cretin like myself?

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2B24535E-4CB0-40D5-8D73-FC991BD867F3.jpeg CB826B21-4305-4CF7-87D4-190BFC33CD73.jpeg
I don't understand what your momentary switch does. Are you modifying the opener controls or the HomeLink? Could you describe this in more detail for a cretin like myself?

Your regular garage door remote and HomeLink buttons are momentary buttons as opposed to the regular on-off type. All I did was tap in an external momentary switch. I installed mine on the backside of the overhead console where nobody would think to look.

It allows me to put the

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It’s similar to this. Just use your imagination on where you want to locate the button

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still kinda foggy. It looks like the theory is to bypass the HomeLink button and hide the momentary switch? If you're not bypassing the HomeLink button then how is this secure?

Or is the theory to have two momentary buttons in series so that they both need to be pushed at the same time?

Separately, it seems like wiring an opener remote with a fixed switch would defeat the wireless portability of the remote.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the HomeLink in mine, but don’t use it, since I don’t always park in the garage and if somebody breaks in to my truck they will be able to open my garage with the HomeLink. I also don’t want somebody rummaging through my truck and stumbling across my remote. Using a remote momentary switch just gives me more flexibility on where to hide the button. I have a few thousand dollars worth of tools in my garage and I don’t want some scumbag going on a shopping spree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts