ABS issue..Someone prior to me did this, I KNEW it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my truck. There are very few issues with it. Previous owner took extremely good care of it. However... I had a hunch when buying it that something electrically was being covered up.
Sometimes...ABS works, then randomly itll just decide not to work. Odd thing was there's never any light on the cluster. No orange ABS light, no red Brake light, not even during the bulb check when u start the car.

Upon looking further, someone has sharpied out the red Brake light as u can see from the pic just barely.
I'm wondering what the problem could be. Ill have to get codes pulled and let you guys know what I find.
Hopefully nothing major 519ee0751d606f48d2c3caacba98f8bf.jpgf6ae2ced99bbe6e06dd5b3e2ce170e54.jpge3ea4a3cb91bc14a731237b3badddb74.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my truck. There are very few issues with it. Previous owner took extremely good care of it. However... I had a hunch when buying it that something electrically was being covered up.
Sometimes...ABS works, then randomly itll just decide not to work. Odd thing was there's never any light on the cluster. No orange ABS light, no red Brake light, not even during the bulb check when u start the car.

Upon looking further, someone has sharpied out the red Brake light as u can see from the pic just barely.
I'm wondering what the problem could be. Ill have to get codes pulled and let you guys know what I find.
Hopefully nothing major 519ee0751d606f48d2c3caacba98f8bf.jpgf6ae2ced99bbe6e06dd5b3e2ce170e54.jpge3ea4a3cb91bc14a731237b3badddb74.jpg

Wow! That’s quite the find. Good luck figuring out what you have going on.

I was working on a car recently when I discovered some black tape on the dash. Turned out it was over the seatbelt symbol. After further inspection, I found a seatbelt was not attached to the pretensioner.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Gonna get that done and post what i find

If I was a betting man, you have a good chance of finding a front speed sensor harness with a broken wire that gets flexed when you turn or articulate your suspension causing intermittent issues.

Will stand by to see what you find out.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
generally these are the only reasons I can think of that would make the brake light come on and not the abs light
1. brake fluid is low
2. brake fluid sensor is bad
3. proportioning valve is stuck
4. parking brake is on
5. parking brake sensor is bad
6. possibly a faulty brake light/pedal switch but not sure
7. problem in the instrument cluster it's self?

any other scenario then the abs light would be on at the same time

try unplugging the brake fluid sensor and see if the light goes out

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was a betting man, you have a good chance of finding a front speed sensor harness with a broken wire that gets flexed when you turn or articulate your suspension causing intermittent issues.

Will stand by to see what you find out.
pretty sure that would just cause a abs light and not cause the brake light to be on constant. unless i am reading this wrong it sounds like the brake light is on constant?

OP
OP
U

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well...there are 2 issues here tho.

The ABS light on the left of the dash never comes on either. So idk if the bulb is taken out or what.
So i have no easy way of telling which faults are on unless i get everything scanned

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Not only is this a search for a mechanical problem on the rig but also the detective in you gets to go get facts to back up the theory you had when you first looked at this rig. Like a dog on a bone, you can't let it go. Then, when you find the problem, especially if he was the only owner of this rig, you can tell him you found what he was trying to hide when he sold it and that, especially in this case, it is a safety problem that could have been a very large dangerous problem. The safety aspect of this really hits home with me. I have always always felt that no matter how well a rig handles and runs, the most IMPORTANT system on the vehicle is the brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo