A Sticky for New PPV/SSV Owners To Re-Civilianize Our Tahoes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cj6913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for my absence been so ridiculously busy lately but I finally got my Heat fixed and all fluids changed. Heater thing was off by a couple teeth, bought new blender motor and I couldn't get it fixed, he used a scantool to see where it needed to be set to work properly, thank god.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST ALL NEW Tahoe Purchasers CHANGE OUT ALL FLUIDS
-Auto tranny
-Front and rear trans axles
-Transfer case
-Brake Fluid
-Coolant
-Oil and filter
-Seafoam treatment (I love this stuff)

I had a friend do it for me at the dealership, I easily gained 2-3mpg with E85 gas, which I love in this truck now and seek out. He said the fluids were absolutely toast, chunky and dark black, stinky. I was really worried about the ATF change because Ive heard people swear that changing the fluid in a high mileage Auto Trans actually can kill it as it has "worn in" and has crud that will be freed and clog or kill something else. I had some VERY stiff shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 sometimes, especially when it was cold. With the new fluid the tranny is SOOOOO much smoother. I haven't seen any negative affects from the change, only an increase in efficiency and MPG.

Honestly I really love the Tahoe SSV and I bought it IN PERFECT TIME for these atrocious, pots holes the size of beach balls, Detroit Metro roads. My HHR would be destroyed if I didn't have the 'Hoe to plow thru everything. The 4x4 has proven extremely effective, never got stuck and love drifting in large parking lots :) Overall I am super happy and would definitely recommend the purchase to friends. Just gotta get the rear passenger stuff working now, doors, locks, windows, heating/cooling. I NEED A TUNE AS WELL!
In the Clem and I thought Big Gretch was gonna fix the roads

cj6913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks buddy, am I remembering right that you need to have a certain RPO code to even "add" the remote start without some crazy hard work or swapping harnesses. Is it like the fog light/rear view mirrors w/ power fold&puddle light deal, where you need the Civilian wiring harness to make these "plug and play"?s

LMK I will try to do my own research as well! Its hard to go back to my HHR SS, it feels like a Go-kart compared to the Tahoe, plus the Tahoe is so "easy" to drive lol

FYI I found the answer.....You MUST have RPO Code "AP8" (check you glove box RPO list) in order for this to work. Honestly I am so stoked this is literally a key-fob upgrade and a reprogram code that must be done at the dealer.

Normally I cringe at anything with the world "dealer" in it, but I have "a guy" at the local spot that goes above and beyond for me. He changed EVERY SINGLE FLUID in the truck FOR FREE! I hooked him up with ~$300 in goods, consultation and gear that he was super happy to have so it was a WIN-WIN and he's hoping this week he can get the 'Hoe in to install these B-E-A-utiful BILSTEINS 5100s installed, new sway end links and a few other random quirks I need fixed. Maybe I can get this kit in time for him to reprogram me at the same time!! STOKED, thanks again guys!!

******UPDATE******
Purchased that Keyless kit #19154444 that was posted earlier, got it for $200 off of Ebay, NEW and the seller was amazing to deal with. Received it today, cant wait for my dealership buddy (needs to be reprog & calling GM to get a special code specific to that VIN only), to get some extra time cause boy do I have a list of goodies/fixes/upgrades for him and the 'Hoe!! So excited, she will be almost like a new truck to me :D (suspension)
Awesome sauce! I have the Autostart function according to the build sheet GM sent me. Have the option on my FOB but didn’t work when I tried. In the metro area as well and would love to know a reputable dealer that can handle this sorta thing. Thanks

BadKarma

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having the same seat belt compatibility issue, may I know how you or others addressed it?

I also have a PPV (2012) with a second row seat out of a different Tahoe. Although the fabric patterns match between front and rear seats, the second row is clearly a different year due to this situation. The middle seat belt works as expected because its built into the 60/40 split seat. My issue is the left and right setbelts that are bolted to the B pillar have wider buckles at the insertion point. They're simply too wide to fit the receptacles.

Do I simply buy 2012 L/R receptables for the 2nd row seat? Or, do I need to replace the seat belts on the B pillar?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mssv12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
*****PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MSG OR POST ADD-ON'S TO THIS LIST, ANY LINKS OR INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! *****

I think we should have a sticky at the top of the PPV and SSV forums, with the basics about getting our trucks back to a more "civilized" form. We can also have a breakdown of the differences between civilian tahoes and PPV and SSV + other Fleet optioned vehicles.

The goal would be a comprehensive list of the basic stuff we all (or most of us) encounter when we bring our Government Owned Tahoes home with us for the first time.

Some topics or examples are:

- Rear Door Locks - Getting them to lock/unlock and have the ability to auto lock or unlock via Key fob and front passengers buttons

- Basic how to on all essential maintence to do when first getting the 'Hoe home like liquid; Oil, Coolant, Steering fluid, Brake fluid, Differential fluids, Transfer Case

- How to Make Rear Door Interior Door Handles Functional

- Radio swap for USB+BLUETOOTH+6 disc (XM undelete?)

- How to get 2nd row speakers working (mine are plugged in at the speaker but must be disconnected somehow between the B Pillar and the head unit as they do not function, makes me wonder if adding the small tweeter speakers on the upper rear C pillars would be plug N play since the rear passenger door speakers don't work and are plugged in )

- How to make electronic rear windows workable by the rear passengers (mine were disconnected, and each rear switch was taped over on the actual PCB board where the switch makes contact, but when switches were fixed and felt "right" the windows still only roll down from Driver's control, this leads me to believe the entire harness for each rear door must be disconnected because the rear speakers also don't work)

- Center Consoles with all the different options

- How to Add DIC button

- How to Add a Self Dimming and other features rear view mirror

- Floormat & cargo area options + model numbers

- How to remove spotlight and make civilainized

- How to swap steering wheels with radio controls

- How to swap front cloth seats for better options

I also know there are a bunch of mods that are much more than just simple plug N play mods such as:

- Folding+Heated+Signal Side Mirrors
- Rearview mirror with LCD built-in license plate camera
- Front Heated Seats, Rear Captains Chairs, Third Row Seating?
- Adjustable Gas Pedal ?
- Adding Carpeted floor & Replacing/Adding vinyl flooring
- Adding stock 8 speaker system components + aftermarket audio
- Adding rear climate controls on headliner (manual and automation)
- Adding rear heated seats
- Adding rear radio functions
- Adding civilian center consoles

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff but do you guys think this is a worthy endevour? As a newbie myself (less then a month owning) I'll tell you I could really use a thread like this, to this day! A lot is info I don't have an need to learn/find and other stuff I'd be willing to write up.

Please help lol
Need help with my 2012 ssv.?

ramchol76

Reaction score
I also have a PPV (2012) with a second row seat out of a different Tahoe. Although the fabric patterns match between front and rear seats, the second row is clearly a different year due to this situation. The middle seat belt works as expected because its built into the 60/40 split seat. My issue is the left and right setbelts that are bolted to the B pillar have wider buckles at the insertion point. They're simply too wide to fit the receptacles.

Do I simply buy 2012 L/R receptables for the 2nd row seat? Or, do I need to replace the seat belts on the B pillar?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
I am planning to change the belt

ppvfan

Reaction score
thanks @Rich_SSV , I am going with this approach i.e. swapping the buckle end in the seat. in this 2015 seat, I notice middle seat belt also anchored in same bolt as the buckle end of read driver side.

I tried unbolting last weekend using small wrench, it was too hard it didnt move a bit. I even used Ryobi driver the bolt didnt unbolt. I noticed the driver moving/slipping.

thinking to get a breaker bar. and retry... any tips unbolting helps.

also are there any explosive in for middle seat belt anchor?
I had a 2016 second row bench seat in my 2014 PPV. Copying this from another thread.

What I did was order 2x GM 19121589 buckle ends. One for the left rear and one for the right rear. My center belt worked fine.

That part is a double buckle end. It seems like a waste but after 2 months of trying different GM and generic parts, it was the only thing that worked.

I attached it directly on the left side and tucked the extra buckle into the seat. For the right side I had to turn the mount 90 deg to attach it, then tucked the other buckle away. I recall having to do a bit of grinding to make it fit.

The whole process was a time consuming pain but it works fine now. Cheaper than buying another seat I guess.

A1251R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased a 2015+ PPV that has the bluetooth deleted? I can't believe anyone would order it this way but that's what I have. I want to add whatever is necessary to have bluetooth so I can use my phone.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased a 2015+ PPV that has the bluetooth deleted? I can't believe anyone would order it this way but that's what I have. I want to add whatever is necessary to have bluetooth so I can use my phone.
I’m guessing Bluetooth is part of the XM and Onstar module. I have none of them in either of mine.

marcello1395

Reaction score
Yeah mine too. Just Radio, Settings and Media (usb). No bluetooth at all.

A1251R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In a way, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. But it certainly sucks. I have purchased the following and will be trying them out:
(8*168gb model)

I'll post a write up on them after I get them installed and evaluated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues