A Sticky for New PPV/SSV Owners To Re-Civilianize Our Tahoes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Did anyone ever upgrade to a nicer rear view mirror, I am looking for one that has an "auto dim" feature, I really like that. Anything else that would work is just an extra. (One that does hook up to the front dome light bezel 'stuff' ?) I have a 2013 Tahoe SSV

I have one from like a 2006 Tahoe, it plugs in but it doesn't power up because from what I can tell they changed the pin-out in the connector drastically. I am going to try and switch the pins around to match up, see if I can get the temp and compass feature to work, as well as the auto dim mirror.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one from like a 2006 Tahoe, it plugs in but it doesn't power up because from what I can tell they changed the pin-out in the connector drastically. I am going to try and switch the pins around to match up, see if I can get the temp and compass feature to work, as well as the auto dim mirror.

cool!! Since I have that Nav_radio now, I was thinking I might hook up a backup camera sometime. I saw there are also these mirrors, that do dim, as well as have a little display in it, that shows the backup camera too.

I have been wondering about the harness myself too, whether or not it is there, and if.. if it would have the correct pinout

Ron

Joeyhosmanole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wish I found this forum months ago. You guys rock, seriously, great thread. I could have contributed greatly with mod photos had I known.

I bought a 2011 SSV Tahoe from GSA auction in Nov 2017, did ok. It appears that the truck may have been used by border patrol; had a Fed title transfer, was caked in dust, K-9 cage. A lot of work but it's been a fun learning experience trying to turn this into a civi truck.

Below I'm outlining some challenges I'm still facing and some victories I've had.

Feel free to jump in if you have any input on my challenges or if I can help you on any of the victories. I know that this thread addresses a few of my challenges and I'll look into those, no need to duplicate efforts.

Challenges:
1. Reverse lights inop (light selector switch and tail lights work)
2. Brake lights inop (again, tail lights work)
3. No Horn
4. Daytime Running Lights inop (light selector switch and headlights work) (RPO 9G8?)

Other research prompts me to believe that the challenges above are related, anyone heard of surveillance mode? I see no visible toggle switch for these so something got cut, I just want to make them work as normal.

5. Rear window Switches inop (RPO 6N5?)
6. Rear left door lock doesn't activate from front switch or remote, manual operation only
7. Rear Dome light inop (front dome light works from selector switch) (RPO 7Y6?)

Victories:
1. Removed 2nd row K9 cage, front seats, vinyl floor, padding, rear door security panels. De-greased dog slobber and hair and dirt and grime from tub floor. De-greased vinyl flooring. Vacuumed and disinfected padding. Re-installed Padding, vinyl flooring, front seats.
2. Installed center console, didn't even try to rewire console controls.
3. Installed rear door panels, activated inner door handles, door locks
4. Installed 3rd row bench anchor kit
5. Installed 3rd row leather bench from 2011 Tahoe
6. Installed 2nd row leather bench from 2015 Tahoe (seat fits but seat belts not compatible)
7. Installed rear view mirror
8. Removed spot lights
9. Replaced A/C actuator door, charged A/C compressor
10. Plugged roof top equipment holes

My questions for this forum:
1. How does one modify the RPO codes? I want to activate rear window switches, dome light, and DRL. Is there an option on this other than a dealership, these guys have no idea what I'm talking about (no disrespect, may just be a limitation of this one location).
2. Any suggestions for activating the brake and reverse lights? The bulbs are good for sure, tail lights work. I'm thinking that there must have been a toggle switch to enable disable surveillance mode to kill exterior light but it may have been cut when the hoe was decommissioned. Does anyone know where a toggle switch may have been wired? Or, if needed I can entirely rewire both revers and brakes with guidance.

Thanks in advance, respect for the DIY community.

spectralen

Reaction score
Just buy cheap rear window switches on Ebay and plug & play. The way that they are non function is a foney switch for the ppv.
I'd be looking for a removed toggle or something that has left the brake light circuit open. Find the fuse and see if it's got power or blown too.
Keep google searching police brake lights ..... etc. Maybe find the answer that way.

Joeyhosmanole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just buy cheap rear window switches on Ebay and plug & play. The way that they are non function is a foney switch for the ppv.
I'd be looking for a removed toggle or something that has left the brake light circuit open. Find the fuse and see if it's got power or blown too.
Keep google searching police brake lights ..... etc. Maybe find the answer that way.

Thanks for the tip on the rear window switches, I'll give it a look. Now that you mention it the switches feel phony when pressed.

Brake fuses are all good, first thing I checked. I'm with you on the toggle switch, just so much to look at and I'm not as hand with electronics as I am with mechanics. Good learning opportunity.

Do you have any experience with modifying RPO codes in BCM? Seems like a Tech2 is required? Any way to have this done at a place other than the gouge happy dealership? I've learned from the interwebs that not all Tech2 devices are created equal, dealerships have authentic devices and tons of after market clones exist. Will a cheaper clone Tech2 give me BCM access? Which model is proven on a hoe?

Thanks again.

spectralen

Reaction score
I'm looking for a guy with a Tech 2 myself. I am also a little sketchy on electrics but always willing to try.

I'd like to turn off my AFM, Turn on remote start' and maybe adjust the transmission to civilian.

Do you have voltage at the Fuse? Have you looked under the dash for any loose wires?

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I'd like to turn off my AFM, Turn on remote start' and maybe adjust the transmission to civilian.

To turn off AFM you need a tune or a Range AFM delete

To turn on the remote start I had to buy as an Accessory , the remote start option. At which point it consisted of 2 new remotes and instructions for the dealer, with a code number and 800 number to call. I left my SSV at the dealer they had to call GM with that code number and in return they get a different number to enter into the tech2 I think the guy on the phone questioned as to why they were adding remote start because it was a fire chiefs car. Luckily it only cost 65 buck to program the BCM and remotes . The Gm kit on Ebay was 225.00 cheaper than the dealer.

good luck!