99 Tahoe Engine Replace with 94 Chevy Van 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macks2DrTahoe

Reaction score
Hi All. New to the forum and starting my 2 Door Tahoe project.
I got a lot of work to do on the Tahoe but starting with replacing the bad engine.
I have a 1994 Chevy Van with a strong running 5.7 engine that I can use as a donor.
Can I use the engine from the Van as the replacement for the Tahoe? If so, what all should I take from the Van?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94 5.7 probably has tbi so you would need the while intake. also i believe the heads are different so that basically leaves you with a good block and pistons. everything else would have to be swapped.

OP
OP
Macks2DrTahoe

Macks2DrTahoe

Reaction score
94 5.7 probably has tbi so you would need the while intake. also i believe the heads are different so that basically leaves you with a good block and pistons. everything else would have to be swapped.

Drakron543 thanks for the reply.

I been driving the Van for the last few days and the engine/tran performs great. I'm looking at the possibility of transplanting the complete engine/tran from the Van into the 99 Tahoe and deal with the electronics. I know it can be done but is the electronics too big a bear to deal with? My experience with engine swaps is I've replaced a Grand Prix engine with the same generation 3800. Didn't have to deal with electronics/computers.

Looking for opinions.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your going to use the complete engine and trans you probably going to run into some other issues possibly. your van and your tahoe are different vehicles with different systems outside of the engine and trans. gauges may or may not work i doubt they will. your interior systems are routed through the interior fuse box and the engine compartment fuse box. same as some of your engine systems. anything is possible with time and effort i mean someone stuck a zo6 engine in a civic. things like your abs probably wont work right also. but anyway is it possible yes is it probably going to somewhat of a pain most assuredly. atleast without doing some odd less conventional swapping. you could probably unhook anything engine and trans related and hook up only that stuff for the other engine and trans. thats going to give you other issues but it might get it running again.

OP
OP
Macks2DrTahoe

Macks2DrTahoe

Reaction score
if your going to use the complete engine and trans you probably going to run into some other issues possibly. your van and your tahoe are different vehicles with different systems outside of the engine and trans. gauges may or may not work i doubt they will. your interior systems are routed through the interior fuse box and the engine compartment fuse box. same as some of your engine systems. anything is possible with time and effort i mean someone stuck a zo6 engine in a civic. things like your abs probably wont work right also. but anyway is it possible yes is it probably going to somewhat of a pain most assuredly. atleast without doing some odd less conventional swapping. you could probably unhook anything engine and trans related and hook up only that stuff for the other engine and trans. thats going to give you other issues but it might get it running again.

Drakon543 thanks again for the reply. That's a lot to consider.

With that I guess I'll do some rethinking. The existing engine has over 220K miles on it and needs some work. I think I will have a local shop go through it. Then look at cost/time to get it running. I have more time than budget so we'll see whats next for the engine bay.

I'm also cleaning up and updating the interior. Manual to power windows, side mirrors and seats, updated radio, speakers, carpet and headliner. I'll start new threads for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan