99 Tahoe 2 Door Getting Rear Disc Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
1LOTAHO

1LOTAHO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well today I finished up on the install of the rear disc brakes and all of the other things I did to it to make it work properly. So I swapped out the old master cylinder for the new body style that has the larger bore and is made for the rear disc. Don't forget to bench bleed to new MC, this will make you life so much easier. Also I tried to modify the proportioning valve as per the instructions but that was unsuccessful. I could not get the rest of the valve to come out of the PV housing and I did not want to damage it. I did call LSM and they told me that in some cases it would not be possible to modify the existing PV do to the different types that GM has for these trucks and its OK to use what I have and I should be fine. So I put the PV back together and used it like it is. If i have any problems later on I'll change it out for a adjustable one and disconnect or bypass the ABS system all together. Pictures below showing what was found and done.

IMG_0974.JPG IMG_0975.JPG IMG_0998.JPG IMG_0993.JPG IMG_0986.JPG

OP
OP
1LOTAHO

1LOTAHO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now I went to bleed all 4 wheels starting with the farthest wheel and worked myself back to the nearest and the repeated this one more time for good measure. Im lucky that I have a one man bleeding kit as well, it make things so much easier. Just a few notes on this install. Just make sure that you give yourself plenty of time to do the swap. It took me over a week to complete because I took my time and made sure that everything went together correct and I did not want to redo anything if possible. So the kit that I purchased cost around 750 bucks with shipping to Ca and the upgrades that I did, like slotted rotors, emergency parking brake calipers and stainless steel brake hoses. You can get the basic kit for 380 bucks. I also upgraded my front calipers to the larger 2500 and got the NBS master cylinder as well. Also I want to thank Eric from LSMg for his help with some of the question I had regarding the install I did. He answered them super quick and he helped me out tremendously. If you guys have any question that you need answered regarding this swap just PM me and I'll do my best to help. I will also do a follow up in a a week or so to let you know my thoughts on the swap as well. Pictures below on how it looks on my 2 Dr Tahoe.

IMG_1004.JPG IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1009.JPG

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Did if firm up your pedal? I did a hydroboost swap to achieve better braking. It really made the pedal solid. Full pedal travel feels like maybe 2 inches and when you really get on it the pedal seems to push back at you even

OP
OP
1LOTAHO

1LOTAHO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, it firmed it up, but nothing like a Hydroboost would do. I can say after this last week of driving the Tahoe it is a huge improvement over the stock set-up. I have put a few hundred miles on it now and pedal is no where near as it was before. Drove it from Fresno area down to the drags at Famoso in Bakersfield and back which is over 200 miles and no hiccups at all. Brakes are toucher and don't even go to the floor like before. This is still with my stock proportioning valve and ABS. It might even get better with an adjustable PV. I might try that next. But for now Im pretty happy with the out come.:chewie:

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it firmed it up, but nothing like a Hydroboost would do. I can say after this last week of driving the Tahoe it is a huge improvement over the stock set-up. I have put a few hundred miles on it now and pedal is no where near as it was before. Drove it from Fresno area down to the drags at Famoso in Bakersfield and back which is over 200 miles and no hiccups at all. Brakes are toucher and don't even go to the floor like before. This is still with my stock proportioning valve and ABS. It might even get better with an adjustable PV. I might try that next. But for now Im pretty happy with the out come.:chewie:
Did the same kit about a month ago only issue is back brakes locked up on wet street I have the same abs set up,pedal is much better like yours. So went to local bone yard and took this out of another and took it apart going to give it a go I’ll let you knowimage.jpg

llow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well Im getting the LS MFG rear disc brake conversion for my 1999 2 door/2WD Tahoe. I opted for the drilled and slotted disc brakes, Calipers with the built in parking brakes and SS brake hoses. It should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I also bought the larger front calipers with pads, which are the 2500 front calipers and the master cylinder from a NBS. This kit also seems pretty well priced for all I'm getting. Im also hoping this will firm up the brakes as well. Ill keep all posted on the progress with pictures. Here is the link to what I bought.
https://www.littleshopmfg.com/gm-88-00-c1500-rear-disc-brakes-5-lug-10-drum/

Good afternoon: I have been looking at the LS conversion package for my 99 Tahoe LT (4wd) for six months now. So tired of bleeding the rears and tightening shoes to get optimum braking.
so I have a few questions- your excellent photos gave me confidence to proceed, by the way.

Skyler at Little Shop says I should do the following-

1-buy the rear conversion kit with park brake- check ok

2-buy the LS replacement front calipers- check ok

3- buy the LS Master cylinder upgrade- makes sense, any comments here from your side?

Once the installation is all said and done and properly bled, tell me how much improvement there is in the pedal pressure and pedal travel, please. Does it now brake like a modern car, tight and sensitive to pedal touch?

THank you for any help you might provide, I really want to go ahead and have a good vehicle, become a great vehicle.

regards

glenn goodfellow
Plattsburgh, NY 12901

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
site says op hasnt made a post since last year so i suggest making a separate post and asking the same questions if you dont get a response. im sure others on here have went with the same system. on a side note your rear drum hardware is in good condition cycling the e brake a few times should ratchet the pad adjusters for you. you shouldn't have to be bleeding brakes and manually adjusting the rear brakes.

OP
OP
1LOTAHO

1LOTAHO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry I have been away for a bit. All I can say is that the peddle is much firmer and the stopping distance is much better than before. I highly recommend doing this if you want to stop better. I also replace all the hose with Russel SS brake lines as well. LS is a great kit. Just take your time while doing the install it will come out great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons