98 yukon, Key doesn't shut engine or dash off when turned to off position.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Have the famous 98 Yukon, This morning I started the engine and couldn't turn it off with the key, dash wouldn't power off either. Had to pull the ignition coil to cap! Anyone know why this may have happened? Only thing I can think of is that the battery terminal wires were removed and put back on, but that doesn't make a whole lot sense to me. Any advise is appreciated! I need to start digging into this soon.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's in the column at the ignition switch. Instead of playing with pulling a coil wire just pull the fuel pump relay or fuse, hurts a lot less than getting zapped by the coil.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's in the column at the ignition switch. Instead of playing with pulling a coil wire just pull the fuel pump relay or fuse, hurts a lot less than getting zapped by the coil.
Yeah, def something in case that ever happens again. I needed the engine off quickly and that's the first thing I thought of, I just used some pliers for that exact reason lol. Thank you!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had this exact same thing happen to me years ago with an old Chevy pickup. Turned out to be wires at back of fuse panel under dash, that had rubbed thru the insulation and was feeding power to ignition circuit when key was off. Yours is likely to do with the ignition switch but the fuse panel is worth a look. Just unbolt from firewall and pull around to look see.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this exact same thing happen to me years ago with an old Chevy pickup. Turned out to be wires at back of fuse panel under dash, that had rubbed thru the insulation and was feeding power to ignition circuit when key was off. Yours is likely to do with the ignition switch but the fuse panel is worth a look. Just unbolt from firewall and pull around to look see.
I'll take a peek. Thank you!

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s easier to just paste the link, but add the hazard/turn signal switch to the list of things to check.

Cliff’s Notes version: the pins in the hazard button switch shifted and shorted battery voltage to the ignition circuit.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s easier to just paste the link, but add the hazard/turn signal switch to the list of things to check.

Cliff’s Notes version: the pins in the hazard button switch shifted and shorted battery voltage to the ignition circuit.

Greatly appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094