97 4x4- can't put gas in truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this- ref from Sunlit Comet- If you have a 90 ohm resistor somewhere use a multimeter.-"
Fuel Gauge Inaccurate
  1. Ensure terminals are clean and terminal connections are tight.
  2. Disconnect fuel tank sender connector, then connect tester J 33431-B, or equivalent, as follows:

• Connect tester red lead to purple wire of the connector, then connect the other lead of the tester to a suitable ground.

1. Set resistance dials of tester to 0 ohms and then to 90 ohms.
  2. Gauge should read low when resistance is set to 0 ohms and read full when resistance is set to 90 ohms. Allow some time for gauge to read full due to the anti-slosh device .
  3. If gauge responds accurately, check for clean mounting surface on sending unit to ensure a good ground. If ground is good, replace sending unit.
  4. If gauge does not respond accurately, check circuit between gauge and sending unit for an open or short to ground. If circuit is satisfactory, replace gauge."

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said track your miles. After 150 miles at say 15 mpg estimated it should take 10 gallons.

Which model do you have, your not giving us much information....

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello all. having an issue lately trying to put 20 bucks in my truck.
gas gauge dont work so i do 20 at a time and know ill get 100 miles before i need gas.
lately when i try and get gas- 4-7 bucks and pump shuts off.
yesterday i got 3 bucks and gas spitting out all over my truck. not sure what the problem is.

any ideas?
thanks for any help
Wondering if you may be having problems with the vapor canister or EVAP system (purge valve or vent solenoid). Search for those topics or PO449 error code for lots of discussions. A clogged valve or line can cause the fuel hose to shut off prematurely causing it to take forever to fill the tank.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if you may be having problems with the vapor canister or EVAP system (purge valve or vent solenoid). Search for those topics or PO449 error code for lots of discussions. A clogged valve or line can cause the fuel hose to shut off prematurely causing it to take forever to fill the tank.
Adding to the above, here is a diagram of the EVAP system. Gas tank vapors are pushed out of the tank to the charcoal canister and later sent to combustion. You may have a code set that would narrow it down.

A workaround (sometimes) is to barely put the nozzle into the filler neck, letting the vapors escape that way.

40fdddf1991b1356e597e63f0480f48f.gif

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have some vents plugged in your fill tank, which has been known to be caused by overfilling the fuel tank.

How much is gas in your area?

Instead of sharing the $ value of your fill, can you share how many gallons you are able to put in?

What is the total capacity of your fuel tank?
20$ = 6-13 gallons

is it on a up hill slope? or down hill slope ?

down hill slope will fill it up more
uphill slope will fill it less

Steve A

Reaction score
I believe if it was me I'd put a 5 gallon can of gas in the back and drive it close to home till it quits. Then pour the 5 gallons in, drive it straight home, drop the tank and fix it. Would beat running out far from home.

OP
OP
J

jroman

Reaction score
thanks for replies
truck is a 97 tahoe.
today- friday- i am just over 100 miles since last attempt = not out of gas yet. not sure at this point if i should try and put 20 in. as i have run out twice since having the truck and in my life- this truck- needle did not move at all. maybe i got lucky the 2 times i did fill the truck up.
as for the post on how to check - dont mean to sound like an idiot. but i dont have a clue where to start - what to look for- where to go with a tester i barely know how to operate. sorry- just being honest. guess when i googled it a while back, first thing i saw was - some plastic part in tank breaks, and im not really trying to drop the tank. so been going with 20=100 miles. when i filled. the 80+ got me 400- so thats how i been riding the last year plus-
thanks again for the replies

rear of truck leaks water inside when it rains??? not sure if the right place.... but since you guys seem helpful...id like to stop that. didn't know when i picked the truck up- but first car wash after purchase... raining in the back of the truck

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a K&N air filter, Slick 50, fuel line magnets and every gas additive know to man in my truck and have been selling gas back to the Saudi’s ever since

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11