97 4x4- can't put gas in truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jroman

Reaction score
hello all. having an issue lately trying to put 20 bucks in my truck.
gas gauge dont work so i do 20 at a time and know ill get 100 miles before i need gas.
lately when i try and get gas- 4-7 bucks and pump shuts off.
yesterday i got 3 bucks and gas spitting out all over my truck. not sure what the problem is.

any ideas?
thanks for any help

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello all. having an issue lately trying to put 20 bucks in my truck.
gas gauge dont work so i do 20 at a time and know ill get 100 miles before i need gas.
lately when i try and get gas- 4-7 bucks and pump shuts off.
yesterday i got 3 bucks and gas spitting out all over my truck. not sure what the problem is.

any ideas?
thanks for any help

You may have some vents plugged in your fill tank, which has been known to be caused by overfilling the fuel tank.

How much is gas in your area?

Instead of sharing the $ value of your fill, can you share how many gallons you are able to put in?

What is the total capacity of your fuel tank?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Wade stated with gas prices dropping over the past month $20 in February might be 8 gallons whereas today it’s 12-14. Sounds like fixing the gauge is in order. Do you know what’s wrong with it?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
off hand i know the gas prices have dropped significantly here. whats the chances that your actually just full. 20 bucks is getting more gas than it was a month or so ago so that 20 bucks which got you 100 miles would now get you more. above mentioned too your vent could be plugged. air would be trying to push back out of your fill tube.

OP
OP
J

jroman

Reaction score
not sure gas prices. also not sure whats with the gauge. purchased the truck and it didn't work. filled twice. seem to work only when full
dont think i have a full tank as for the last year i only do 20 at a time. tried taking off both hoses. gas fill and the smaller one that runs along side it. and gas is pouring out. so for now i will drive with a gas can in truck for when it runs out of gas on the road.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a problem we all want! Truck always full! You can check Guage easiest using the fuel pump/gas guage connecter at the pump- if you can reach it. 2 or 3 different length harnesses, some with plug at pump, others near frame rail. I'll try to find the manual reference. Easiest to start at tank and work forward. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

jroman

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a problem we all want! Truck always full! You can check Guage easiest using the fuel pump/gas guage connecter at the pump- if you can reach it. 2 or 3 different length harnesses, some with plug at pump, others near frame rail. I'll try to find the manual reference. Easiest to start at tank and work forward. Hope this helps.

i was under the impression- the part that reads the amount of fuel is in the tank. not interested in dropping tank at this point.
not sure what you meant about the check?

OP
OP
J

jroman

Reaction score
Charcoal cannister is plugged along with the vent...?

thought i didn't have that on this model truck ? vent? inside tank??
actually thought the smaller line next to large fill line was a vent line. took it off and let hang, went yesterday and tried for more gas after the 3 bucks in the morning and the gas just poured out of the little line. so put that back on. loosened both at tank. and i thought being close to empty- i could pull hoses off and check for something at tank. gas coming out of both when loosened. not sure how the tank would be full- but i guess maybe you folks are right. cheaper gas price and 20 every few days.... thanks for the help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu