64-72 GM A-body lower control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1sikryd

Reaction score
Anybody else try to modify GM A-body control arms to fit their Tahoe. I'm working on replacing the bushing sleeve and ball center on these Currie Currectracs to bolt onto my 2019 Tahoe. Its definitely overkill, but those control arms are sexy as hell. I have the double adjustable Currectracs at all four corners on my Jeep Wrangler. They are bullet proof and everybody asks about them because they dont look like every other aftermarket tube control arm out there.

Here's the Currie's next to the Spohn's.20190206_234341.jpg

Last edited:

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does look good! I'm interested!

OP
OP
1sikryd

1sikryd

Reaction score
Replacement ball centers arrived. Now just waiting on the bushing sleeves. Hopefully I get atleast one sunny day this weekend to bolt these on.20190210_184114.jpg

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it is hard to tell from the pics (which look sic btw). Are the lower arms the same length as the 64-72 A-body?

GM must have gotten their money's worth out of the tooling for those!!!

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, part numbers for the ball centers and bushing sleeves? Any special pressing or ??? required?

OP
OP
1sikryd

1sikryd

Reaction score
So it is hard to tell from the pics (which look sic btw). Are the lower arms the same length as the 64-72 A-body?

GM must have gotten their money's worth out of the tooling for those!!!

Yes, 64-72 GM A-bodies use a 22" lower control arm with 1/2" hardware. Tahoes use 14mm. After 72, GM added 1/4" to the length, making them 22 1/4.

OP
OP
1sikryd

1sikryd

Reaction score
Also, part numbers for the ball centers and bushing sleeves? Any special pressing or ??? required?

CE-91102-14 - 2 1/2" Johnny Joint® Ball Center (2.585" x .5625" Hole)

I also used a Johnny joint assmebly tool. But assembly could probably be done in a bench vise with a couple appropriately sized sockets. You need to preload the joint just enough to install or remove the snap ring.

For the bushing sleeves, I ordered a Dorman replacement control arm to harvest the sleeves. They're cheap, $25. But shipping took too long. I ended up drilling the Currie sleeves.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, after some time, how do you like the mod? How does it ride? Any rougher than stock?

Also, how is axle articulation? Better than stock?

Hope you like it! Thanks!

OP
OP
1sikryd

1sikryd

Reaction score
So, after some time, how do you like the mod? How does it ride? Any rougher than stock?

Also, how is axle articulation? Better than stock?

It's hard to tell if it made a significant improvement because I installed it the same time as I installed the front and rear Eibach sway bars, and I only had the vehicle a couple of months so everything was still new to me.. Aesthetically, it looks much better. I've gotten a few compliments from a couple car guys, so it must stand out. Was it worth the $450+, probably not. Would I do it again, probably would. I originally bought the Sphon control arms, but ended up putting them on a 2005 Tahoe. On that vehicle there was a huge improvement, the stock bushings were pretty sloppy. I am still looking for some one that can custom bend me a sway bar that mounts to the holes in the control arms. Hellwig would do it, but they require a 20 part minimum run. The benefit would be illuminating the interference between the rear sway bar and the track bar bracket on the frame. There are some signs of the two rubbing, although I don't notice it while driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645