6.2 vs 5.3 and premium gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any body have any regrets getting a 6.2 liter over the 5.3L

and must you use premium gas in it?

im not as concerned with the cost of the gas as is the requirement to use it.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you need to use premium fuel with a 6.2L.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s the one reason why I stayed away from the 6.2, even though it would’ve been nice.

The owners manual says it’s required for the 6.2. Some other posts talked about how you might get a knocking noise due to how the timing might get messed up by not using premium. Here in Iowa it would cost me an additional $6-10 depending on the price to fill it up the 22 gallon tank with Premium.

I had a Corvette in the past that required Premium and I had no issues paying extra for that, but even though the 6.2 is sweet in the Tahoe I feel it’s still far from the performance of a sports car with that engine (plus that’s not why I bought it either), although if you have the extra money to spend and don’t mind paying extra each time you fill up I’d go for it.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the 6.2 in the high country I drove. A lot.
My concern is that with the 5.3, I can use any gas but with the 6.2, I’m really limited. is there an additive that you can use to boost the octane in the event you can’t get premium gas

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They want + .80 cents over RUL in my area and I refuse to make them rich and get crappy mileage on top of it. Diesel is + .10 over RUL and I’m going 40% further on it. Wouldn’t have bought a Denali w/o a Dmax….

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As can be seen, there are almost as many opinions as folks posting on this topic.

From my point of view, if you are concerned about total fuel costs, then go with the 5.3, and save yourself some money. If you are not concerned about total fuel costs, then go with the 6.2. If you plan to tow a lot, particularly large trailers/loads, then the 6.2 makes more sense to select.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Curious, where do you live where high octane gasoline is not available?
Not that high octane isn’t available regularly but if for some reason you can’t find it. Im just thinking with the 5.3 , I can always move up but with the 6.2 I can’t readily move down.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As can be seen, there are almost as many opinions as folks posting on this topic.

From my point of view, if you are concerned about total fuel costs, then go with the 5.3, and save yourself some money. If you are not concerned about total fuel costs, then go with the 6.2. If you plan to tow a lot, particularly large trailers/loads, then the 6.2 makes more sense to select.

I don’t tow very much. I was curious though, if anyone with the 6.2 regretted it? Note that the max towing package and advanced trailering pkg is not available on the 22 Tahoe with 6.2 engine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos