6.2 vs 5.3 and premium gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that high octane isn’t available regularly but if for some reason you can’t find it. Im just thinking with the 5.3 , I can always move up but with the 6.2 I can’t readily move down.
Well, I'm not aware of anywhere where 91 octane at least isn't available. The extra power is great but if you don't NEED it, the 5.3 will be just fine. If we ever buy a T1, I'm sweet on the diesel engine. By the time we buy one, I'll probably have already replaced the 5.3 in my '09 for a 6.2! LOL

gaffster01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You absolutely do not need to run premium. In most cases 87 is actually better because it gets turned over faster. Some race friends tested a bunch of gas around us and the 87 was almost always better. With that said I always run premium if I am pulling something.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Corvette in the past that required Premium and I had no issues paying extra for that, but even though the 6.2 is sweet in the Tahoe I feel it’s still far from the performance of a sports car with that engine (plus that’s not why I bought it either), although if you have the extra money to spend and don’t mind paying extra each time you fill up I’d go for it.
I think this is pretty spot on here. I've had the 6.2 in a Camaro SS and while it was great while it lasted even in the 3500 lbs vehicle I felt it was still underpowered. Yes it was fast but even after a few mods there were other cars that would eat it. Take the 392's. So the 5.3 is sufficient and sounds great and won't get the teen drivers trying to race me off the line lol.

hdrolling

Reaction score
The 6.2 is a higher compression engine than the 5.3, that's why they "highly recommend" 93. At least that's what it says in my owners manual.

I think you would get more responses to asking 5.3L owners if they regret not getting the 6.2L, who wouldn't want more power?

Since on the 2021 GM's, the 6.2L only comes on the top of the line models I'm sure most of the owners can afford the higher fuel costs.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2L is now available on the HC Premier RST and Z71.
Z71 also has available eLSD

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You absolutely do not need to run premium. In most cases 87 is actually better because it gets turned over faster. Some race friends tested a bunch of gas around us and the 87 was almost always better. With that said I always run premium if I am pulling something.
With the current ways the vehicles are programmed, this is not so. Running 87 in a high compression engine is going to bust pistons and rings eventually. We see it all the time on here.

87 octane is in no way better for a high compression engine than 93, unless you are comparing Direct Injection engines that are made to run on 87. They will see little, if any improvement with 93. In older, more traditional injected and carbureted engines, higher octane always benefits the engine over lower octane. The get better mileage, run smoother, cooler, etc.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher octane fuel such as premium has nothing to do with energy content or quality. It is a measurement of the gasoline's ability to resist engine knock. Engines that have a higher compression ratio need a higher octane fuel too prevent knock. So too make a long story short you can use a fuel with a low octane as long as your engine is not knocking. I highly doubt you will get knocking in a stock 6.2 engine with a quality top tier brand selling 89 mid grade. My Corvette calls for premium and runs fine with 89 mid grade.

gaffster01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 100,000 miles on. 6.2 that has seen mostly 87 octane other than when pulling heavy loads and had 0 issues at all. I routinely get 23 mpg highway with it. If you want most performance run premium if not no worries running 87.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700