6.2 vs 5.3 and premium gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gaffster01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone realizes these motors pull timing if there is knocking detected right? If you want to run premium all the time do it. If it was going to destroy your motor to run anything but it would be plastered everywhere.

Reaction score
Everyone realizes these motors pull timing if there is knocking detected right? If you want to run premium all the time do it. If it was going to destroy your motor to run anything but it would be plastered everywhere.
It has to be knocking for it to be detected. Damage is already done before the timing gets pulled, it's just a matter of how much.

Even if it's minimal, the damage done to the hyperpathetic pistons over time will result in breakage.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You pull away from the light, the knock sensors go off and timing is pulled. You reach cruise speed and then give it a little gas to pass some slow poke and again the knock sensors detect knock and pull timing. Pull up to a light and repeat, 1000 times every hour dude. This is what Geotrash is trying to learn you.

The computer is not programmed to detect a lower octane fuel and run on a set of different tables to prevent knocking and pinging, yet. A Few other automakers do it and GM does it with Ethanol.

I've got a challenge for you if you're up for it. Go out and buy some OBDII adapter that works with your truck and Dash Command or Torque Pro phone app. Set it up to show when the knock sensors go off and then take a little video, post to youtube and link to it here, ok? I'll happily eat some humble pie if you are right and I'm wrong.

gaffster01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a really good write up on GM trucks forum. As I said believe what you want the manual says “Recommended for best performance and hugest fuel economy and if knocking occurs switch to 93”. A fresh 87 is better than crap 93 as I stated in my first post the gas tested around here the 93 wasn’t good as it doesn’t turn over. At the end of the day we can agree to disagree. Looking around this argument has been had many times on many forums with the same opinions.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, this is not about cost but more about availability
whether it be emergency or im in an unfamiliar place and running low on fuel and cant find it

gaffster01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like the idea of OBDII adapter. If I get time I’ll get one. I have no issue if the data says something different being wrong

gaffster01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cost was never my issue either. Around here our gas quality isn’t great. So finding 91 or 93 that isn’t old or has water in it is hard. I have seen many a snowmobile blow a piston due to water in the gas and they only run premium.