6.2 failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Snakeboyaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I need to dig into it further for sure. I’ve always done all my own work from general maintenance to rebuilding the 5.3 in our 07 Tahoe and building a 408 stroker we put in my father in laws 06 Chevy. I didn’t want to have to work on a daily driver anymore which is why I bought this car so I didn’t have to worry about anything.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No drivetrain warranty?
He's at 67K. Factory powertrain warranty stops at 60K unless it's CPO or has a private extended warranty on it, which I assume he's already thought through. He mentioned above he's hoping that GM will work with him on it but doesn't know yet.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's at 67K. Factory powertrain warranty stops at 60K unless it's CPO or has a private extended warranty on it, which I assume he's already thought through. He mentioned above he's hoping that GM will work with him on it but doesn't know yet.
Sorry, On the LM2 it's a 100K warranty so I kinda thought this one was too. With proper care, there is no reason under the sun that a long time produced V8 should ever need to be replaced at 67k miles.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, On the LM2 it's a 100K warranty so I kinda thought this one was too. With proper care, there is no reason under the sun that a long time produced V8 should ever need to be replaced at 67k miles.
100% agree, so it begs the question if anyone yet knows the root cause of the recent failures.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I’ve read, it’s out of spec bearing clearances.

Here’s what I found from a GM Tech.

When I was at Chevy, we found a lot of the 6.2 bearing clearances were well out of spec. Pump provides the flow, bearing provides the pressure — excessive bearing clearance… oil pressure drops and the downstream bearings get starved.

Usually see excessive clearance in 1-3 and spun bearing / catastrophic damage 4-8.

At one point we had 3 new Escalades in the shop for spun bearings / rod knock or failed lifters, each below their recommended interval for first oil change.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I’ve read, it’s out of spec bearing clearances.

Here’s what I found from a GM Tech.

When I was at Chevy, we found a lot of the 6.2 bearing clearances were well out of spec. Pump provides the flow, bearing provides the pressure — excessive bearing clearance… oil pressure drops and the downstream bearings get starved.

Usually see excessive clearance in 1-3 and spun bearing / catastrophic damage 4-8.

At one point we had 3 new Escalades in the shop for spun bearings / rod knock or failed lifters, each below their recommended interval for first oil change.
Hmmm… I wonder if the newer variable displacement oil pumps are a contributing factor. Seems to be happening to folks when they’re on the highway at higher RPMs.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm… I wonder if the newer variable displacement oil pumps are a contributing factor. Seems to be happening to folks when they’re on the highway at higher RPMs.
Not convinced being on the highway means “higher RPM.” My Denali sits around 1200-1400 when cruising on the highway at 65MPH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10