5w30 oil in transfer case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Eric Pylant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I run what’s spec’d for everything on my rigs. The last straw was trying to run non-AC Delco fluid in my G80 diff. I read somewhere about guys running Royal Purple 75-90 instead of the AC Delco 75-90 so I had that in for awhile and went down the wormhole about the limited-slip additive and I knew the consensus was lbs additive wasn’t needed or recommended for the G-80 and could cause damage but...I also read that some of the synthetic 75-90’s already had some so I started reading the bottle of RP and right there on the front it said “ With Limited Slip Additive” so I drained it and replaced it. So if it says to use AutoTrac II that’s what it gets. Engine oil is the only non-GM fluid I use. My G-80 diff and NVG149 transfer case have 170k on them with no issues. The rest of the drivetrain I’ve exploded due to supercharger not fluids lol.

I agree! Everything I run is OEM in all my cars with the exception of the Shell Rotella antifreeze in my 7.3l diesel. Ford used their "gold" brand but it was only bc they used it in so many different applications but it was not the BEST to use and had higher maintenance intervals.

OEM sometimes uses fluids or parts bc the bean counters tell them to OR the lawyers say to. But regardless, OEM has 99% of the time been the best quality.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree! Everything I run is OEM in all my cars with the exception of the Shell Rotella antifreeze in my 7.3l diesel. Ford used their "gold" brand but it was only bc they used it in so many different applications but it was not the BEST to use and had higher maintenance intervals.

OEM sometimes uses fluids or parts bc the bean counters tell them to OR the lawyers say to. But regardless, OEM has 99% of the time been the best quality.

I don't think much of the Ferd gold coolant from a visual perspective. The color is not committed enough to identify if you get a leak; it looks too much like plain water.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm unable to right now but it has the auto 4x4 option.

Well, if that is the case you have the NVG 246 (RPO NP8), this has 5 modes and the Transfer Case Shift Control Switch has 4 buttons. This unit takes 2 quarts of Auto Trac II Fluid, the blue stuff (12378508).

The full time 4WD transfer case is the Borg Warner 4482 (RPO NR4), and its Transfer Case Shift Control Switch has 3 buttons and takes Dexron III fluid. 1.5 quarts if memory serves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts