5.3 timing marks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djhoch83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Read The whole thread. Put your pressure gauge away and simply line up the dots on your crank and cam. Nothing in the service manual says anything about compression or exhaust stroke. You can read the section in this link relating to cam install. And verify afterwards by turning the engine over by hand to see there’s no interference and the dots still line up. I’ve done 3 cam installs in LS engines this way.

Ok thank you

djhoch83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is nothing in the description about compression stroke, because you are automatically in the compression stroke, when the two marks are in line with each other, i.e. the crankshaft is at 12 o'clock and the camshaft is at 6 o'clock.

And that's all you need to know.

It's also right, that it's best to do this in this position and that only for one reason:

Because you see if your timing is correct.

It's of course also right that you can change the timing chain at any position, if you put it back on without moving crank and camshaft but may be, the camshaft twists a bit, due to the tension of the valve springs and you then no longer know which tooth is exactly the right point.

So it is best to turn the engine to the appropriate marks to take the timing chain down and reassemble the timing chain back on and then crank the engine once, which means you have to turn the crankshaft twice.

Then the marks are back in the right place and must match. Manual cranking also prevents mechanical damage generated if the timing chain is not placed correctly, because you notice when the piston hits the valves without making damage.

When you do that with the starter, you notice it as well. But then you have to check the manual for the section engine swap. ;)

That's why you should crank the engine twice by hand. Two crankshaft rotation, check. Two rotations again, check again.

If the markings are still correct, then everything is fine and you can reassemble the engine.

At the LS engines that is as simple as it can be. If you see some German engines from BMW or Porsche.

In a V8 with 4 camshafts, they sometimes have several balancing shafts and a high-pressure injection pump that has to be also lined, plus a chain tensioner. Then it becomes really difficult and usually only to do with setting tools.

I never in my mechanic life, saw a timing chain which is so simple like on the LS...
Ok thanks bud

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here an example.. An Audi 3Liter TFSI.

A Pain in the A....
I swear, German engineers think “ how can I make this as complicated as possible?”. I’ll never never never work on a German car again. The entire time I’m thinking “why the hell did they make this so difficult” as I’m cussing them out.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Translated: Here, for example, this is a pain in the a.
Sometimes I use google translate to better understand. My english is not bad, but sometimes the special words for technical issues a missing.

When I forget to switch that of, when I write it automatically translate what I write... :Big Laugh:

A German mechanic would not say: pain in the ass. He calls it Volkswagen.....:cool:

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swear, German engineers think “ how can I make this as complicated as possible?”. I’ll never never never work on a German car again. The entire time I’m thinking “why the hell did they make this so difficult” as I’m cussing them out.
That is absolutely true and the reason why I not want to drive a German car anymore. You can drive a Mercedes up to 1995, a BMW 2005 and Volkswagen and the other shi... you can forget as well...

They turnt due to the market, the people who what more and more complex technic and the emmision rules in Germany into computers on wheels, overengineered and less and less to repair.

A friend of mine is a foreman at a VW/Audi Dealer. I asked him if he agrees or if I'm just too stupid to repair these cars. He says the ones in the workshops could throw up every day because everything is built in such a way, that you cant reach somewhere, everything is built in, special screws are everywhere and everything is built in such a way that you throw it away after 200,000 km.

When I see for myself that you used to change a bulb when you had a broken rear light, today you have to buy the complete LED rear light for a Golf for €280 from VW. And that is good for envoirememt? And Mercedes shoots the bird and encodes the headlights, so that you cannot go to a junkyard and get a used headlight for your Mercedes. No, it has to be coded by the Mercedes for your Car and you can only buy it used from Mercedes.

Of course, the headlight costs €2000 new and you can get it used for €1200.

I've never been particularly into American cars, because I used to like driving fast and when you're driving on the German Autobahn at 200km/h, there are hardly any American cars that are suitable for that.

I only bought the truck, because I saw from a friend how great it is to repair. And now I love it and don't want German scrap anymore.

My neighbors and friends always ask me
Doesn't it consume an infinite amount of fuel? And i always tell them it clearly needs more fuel but i have less depreciation and repair costs than all of you together and in summit i drive it cheaper than you do.

And I tell them: The Americans don't calculate in Liter per 100 Kilometer, they calculate in smiles per gallon... :cool:

Meanwhile two more of my friends plan to get a GMT 820...

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is absolutely true and the reason why I not want to drive a German car anymore. You can drive a Mercedes up to 1995, a BMW 2005 and Volkswagen and the other shi... you can forget as well...

They turnt due to the market, the people who what more and more complex technic and the emmision rules in Germany into computers on wheels, overengineered and less and less to repair.

A friend of mine is a foreman at a VW/Audi Dealer. I asked him if he agrees or if I'm just too stupid to repair these cars. He says the ones in the workshops could throw up every day because everything is built in such a way, that you cant reach somewhere, everything is built in, special screws are everywhere and everything is built in such a way that you throw it away after 200,000 km.

When I see for myself that you used to change a bulb when you had a broken rear light, today you have to buy the complete LED rear light for a Golf for €280 from VW. And that is good for envoirememt? And Mercedes shoots the bird and encodes the headlights, so that you cannot go to a junkyard and get a used headlight for your Mercedes. No, it has to be coded by the Mercedes for your Car and you can only buy it used from Mercedes.

Of course, the headlight costs €2000 new and you can get it used for €1200.

I've never been particularly into American cars, because I used to like driving fast and when you're driving on the German Autobahn at 200km/h, there are hardly any American cars that are suitable for that.

I only bought the truck, because I saw from a friend how great it is to repair. And now I love it and don't want German scrap anymore.

My neighbors and friends always ask me
Doesn't it consume an infinite amount of fuel? And i always tell them it clearly needs more fuel but i have less depreciation and repair costs than all of you together and in summit i drive it cheaper than you do.

And I tell them: The Americans don't calculate in Liter per 100 Kilometer, they calculate in smiles per gallon... :cool:

Meanwhile two more of my friends plan to get a GMT 820...
200km/h which is roughly 124mph. My man hasn't had the chance to open up an LS engine in a Corvette on a highway, has he? You'll go alot faster than 200km/h. Even the Chevy Camaro can do that with ease.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
200km/h which is roughly 124mph. My man hasn't had the chance to open up an LS engine in a Corvette on a highway, has he? You'll go alot faster than 200km/h. Even the Chevy Camaro can do that with ease.
The engine yes, but not the chassis... :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518