5.3 oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crunch,

Please let me know how your visit was at the dealership. Also let me know if you still find your vehicle consuming excessive amounts of oil.

Seagravedriver,

What was your outcome at the dealership?

Thank you,

Elizabeth, GM Customer Service

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a question for those with the oil consumption issues, what oil are you using?

Crunch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking at having to add a quart of oil about every 1,400 miles or so. While the Yukon rides and drivers great, I have never had a vehicle drink so much oil. I have not kept a real close record, but I am going to start. We took a 3k mile trip, started with a fresh oil change, and added a quart at 1,400 mile increments. If it is doing this with around 50k on the engine, what does my future look like. While it is my first non Ford vehicle I have ever owned, this is a bummer. BUT, we like it so much, we probably would buy another.

I had the same probem with my 07 Tahoe. Took it in to the dealership and at first they said the valve seals were leaking oil into the cylinder which is why oil was being consumed. After they looked at it they found the O'rings were seized and they replaced them all on all 8 pistions. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 03:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

Crunch,

Please let me know how your visit was at the dealership. Also let me know if you still find your vehicle consuming excessive amounts of oil.

Seagravedriver,

What was your outcome at the dealership?

Thank you,

Great help.. they found the problem and corrected it. Seized O'rings was the problem.

---------- Post added at 03:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 AM ----------

The 2007 tahoe 5.3 engine has a problem with the valve seals and/or O'rings. I had the same problem like many owners but got it solved with the help of a good guy at GM. The problem with mine was seized O'rings causing oil to get into the cylinders. The cat. converter burned off the excess so I was not seeing any black smoke from the tail pipe. Long story short.. the dealership replaced free of charge the o'rings and valve seals... PROBLEM SOLVED!
Email me at [email protected] if you need more details so you can get your problems solved. Please put Oil consumption or soemthing I would recognize if the email goes to junk folder.

Crunch

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crunch,

I’m glad to hear that you got everything taken care of. If you have any other questions or concerns, just let me know!

Thank you,

JDGnut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been reading about this issue on a few different forums..

This actuallys is the first I have read about the valve seals.. On the other forums they have talked about the adding the baffle in the oil pan.. and then replacing pistons and rings... The issue also seems to be the greatest in the 07's with the AFM...

I am having the same issue.. the last three oil changes.. we have had the low oil light come on with about 12-20% left on the oil indicator. I changed oil this weekend and it was at 14% and the low oil light had just come on.. the oil level was not even on the stick..

My issue is that we just turned 100K... and its basically my fault for not getting it to the dealer to start the process of having them monitor the oil for consumption..

I really just want to know what the issue is.. so it can be monitor closer, and fix..
We bought the 07 Tahoe new, first oil change got Castrol dino oil.. from then on it has always had a full Synthenic oil.. Mobil 1.. until the past oil change I went to Castrol Syntech.. hoping for a different result, and it was the same.. always changed using the oil change indicator..

I always wanted to make the AFM work better (go into V4 mod more).. but if its part of the cause of my problems.. I'll get it turned off..

Sorry for the long post.. and little of a rant.. but we like the Tahoe, and bought it to keep for a long time.. but we are really starting to see lots of little issues.. (or maybe big issues..

Bryan

Faceplant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother in law (mechanic) called me right AFTER I bought the Tahoe to tell me that the 5.3 motors have serious oil consumption issues. I will be keeping an eye on this.....

protonvx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 uses at least a quart of oil in between oil changes. I don't like it, but it runs good otherwise. I am only at 83k miles.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changed oil on my 07 about 2 weeks ago. Hadn't really noticed the oil consumption til I drained it and only got 3 quarts. I'm like WTF. I always put 6 quarts so basically burns half of the oil I put on. That doesn't seem right. I bought the truck new and like stated above hadn't really paid much attention to it til my last oil change.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

Assman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2010 and it doesn't go through any oil, i've put about 4k on this oil so far and it's still at the top notch of the dipstick. It must be isolated to the 07's, but how can you guys go thousands of miles without checking the oil? Maybe i'm just neurotic...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv