5.3 lifter tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George Owens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I believe I have the infamous lifter tick, there’s no codes and the 08 Tahoe LT seems to run like normal. One of the spark plug wire seemed loose as I saw it wiggle while idling. I went to push it in and I felt the tick through the spark plug wire. You can hear it too. My question is what are the parts/tools needed to do this job? Also do I need to change the AFM lifters or all of them? I’m kinda on a budget so I only want to replace what is necessary thanks in advance

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tools:
Metric sockets
Nut driver (5/16", I think)
Pliers and/or channel locks
Protractor or torque angle gauge

Parts:
New lifters
New lifter trays
Head gaskets
Intake manifold gaskets
Head bolts
Coolant crossover and block-off gaskets (O-rings)

You can replace just the AFM lifters. There's a newer design that's supposed to be more reliable than what originally came in your '08 LMG. If it hasn't been updated, replace the VLOM with the newer design as a great preventative measure since you'll have it torn down to that point.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can, but its recommended to replace them all since you're going through the labor of removing the cylinder heads.

What cylinder has been diagnosed with the lifter tick?

OP
OP
George Owens

George Owens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hard to tell I didn’t take it apart yet, but I do kinda hear ticking on both sides

Yeah you can, but its recommended to replace them all since you're going through the labor of removing the cylinder heads.

What cylinder has been diagnosed with the lifter tick?

OP
OP
George Owens

George Owens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loose spark plug?

haven’t thought of that, wouldn’t there be some sort of misfire? There is one spark plug wire that slightly moves and when I go to push it in I can actually feel the tap

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Fixing mine now... :cool:
Vlom.JPG

If lifter tick, then that piece that's in the garbage can there.
Is the Vlom.
My bolts were loose.
Check yours.
I could remove the bolts with my fingers....

I already had the parts ordered, so I'm doing a full delete and didn't try tightening the bolts to see if it fixed it.
It requires removal of the intake in order to get to the valley cover/vlom thingy's bolts.
:cheers:

Otherwise, it's lifters and cam.
Or just replace the offending DOD/AFM lifters.

For full cam,
while your in there, might as well do the oil pump and timing chain.
:angels2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts