4 Piston Big Brake Upgrade from 2019-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
fasteddy

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all good man. Nothing wrong with discussion here

I agree.....
I could be shaving off critical mass that was engineering into the part for rigidity and heat transfer.
The thing may flex and crack or break under stress while coming down a hill, I could lose brakes and have an offroad excursion.

I would've much preferred to be through functional testing, low speed, high speed, stopping distance, by now, as opposed to working on
"cosmetics".

Its easy to pull the caliper and dress it up after testing as braking is a safety function....pretty is secondary.

I did buy some hardened washers to use as opposed to the home depot .25 cent ones.

AN292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No chance the OEM spare will fit these in an emergency tire change right? I have 1" spacers.

OP
OP
fasteddy

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No chance the OEM spare will fit these in an emergency tire change right? I have 1" spacers.

Didn't you buy the brake kit?
I would think 1" would be more than enough to fit stock wheels including the spare, but I don't know for sure.
You should test fit it.....it only took me like 45 minutes. Two caliper bolts and tuck the existing caliper up on the control arm without disconnecting it.
I just didn't have a spacer to fully test my 04 Z71 wheel. The 17" wheel clears, it just wouldn't go flush against the rotor.

I bought a 2020 silverado spare and tire off craigslist for $50.

If my wheels don't come in soon, I'm just going to buy a 1" spacer and run wide in the front until they come in.
I just didn't want the spacer to potentially interfere with testing....Like creating vibration, or imbalance.

45 mins will answer your question
See my existing caliper just tucked up on the control arm
2 bolts, slide it off, take off rotor
put on new rotor and bolt up new caliper. without pads is easier.
bolt on spacer
put on wheel, spare....see if its fits.
maybe yours is 60 mins with taking the spacer off and on.

IMG_3105.JPG

You don't even have to remove the existing rotor or the spacer.
You're just testing for caliper clearance on your wheel and spare.
Just remove the existing caliper...tuck it up and away
Bolt on new caliper over existing rotor....space with washers if desired
Test fit wheels.
Easy Peasy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fasteddy

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for reference
The 18 silverado spare has circular holes
The 19 silverado spare has triangular holes

SilveradoSpare18.jpg

Silverado spare19.jpg

AN292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info man. I just ordered the rotors today. Has anyone installed them yet and came back with a report on their performance?

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone really needs to come up with a rear setup that matches this front, if I'm gonna do it I want to powder my calipers and can't have mismatched front to rear.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan , PLUS these vehicles could use a bit more bias on the rear brakes. I could never get used to the nose dive these vehicles take due to the lack of rear brake bias.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really curious if the caliper will clear this wheel on my Tahoe -- it's from an '18 Silverado. Noticed it has 28mm offset...or at least that's the number on the backside.IMG_20201213_171707.jpg

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone really needs to come up with a rear setup that matches this front, if I'm gonna do it I want to powder my calipers and can't have mismatched front to rear.

I swear I remember people talking about converting to the GMT-800 2 piston rear calipers years ago but couldn’t find anything on it when I looked last night before I ordered the red Power Stop calipers to match my Brembos. All that came up was converting the 800 to the 900 front brakes. There’s different rear calipers on the the 800 depending on 2WD or 4WD and I’m not sure if the parking brake is the same where the 800 rear rotor would just drop on so I wouldn’t want to blindly order parts. The bracket bolt spacing could be different, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65