2nd time Lifter Failure... 2021 Yukon AT4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ats0401

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm now convinced it was not a bad batch but just a design flaw. My Yukon was built in May; lifter failure at 5000 miles. Dealer replaced both banks, all 16 lifters. 500 miles later, lifter failure AGAIN. The 75k pile of sh*t is being towed to dealer again tomorrow. If you are on the fence about getting a 21, just go visit the service bay at your local GMC dealer. Mine had 7 Yukons/Tahoe's currently in for lifter failure. It's definitely not just a small vocal few having this issue.

Plenty of threads on this, but I wanted to let people know, just because you had both banks replaced with the supposed *fixed* batch of lifters, you aren't in the clear.
So frustrating, as this was the perfect vehicle for my family. Now I'm trying to find a Jeep Dealer with an allocation for a Wagoneer.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm now convinced it was not a bad batch but just a design flaw. My Yukon was built in May; lifter failure at 5000 miles. Dealer replaced both banks, all 16 lifters. 500 miles later, lifter failure AGAIN. The 75k pile of sh*t is being towed to dealer again tomorrow. If you are on the fence about getting a 21, just go visit the service bay at your local GMC dealer. Mine had 7 Yukons/Tahoe's currently in for lifter failure. It's definitely not just a small vocal few having this issue.

Plenty of threads on this, but I wanted to let people know, just because you had both banks replaced with the supposed *fixed* batch of lifters, you aren't in the clear.
So frustrating, as this was the perfect vehicle for my family. Now I'm trying to find a Jeep Dealer with an allocation for a Wagoneer.
Sorry you're having these issues. How come this is only your first post here?

OP
OP
A

ats0401

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry you're having these issues. How come this is only your first post here?
Because I’m new here? I’m a member of a bunch of AT4 groups on Facebook and usually post there. I came across this site while researching lemon laws and googling Yukon lifter failures.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I’m new here? I’m a member of a bunch of AT4 groups on Facebook and usually post there. I came across this site while researching lemon laws and googling Yukon lifter failures.
Got it. Just seemed strange that you'd been having issues all along and suddenly decided to post here for the first time. Well, hope you stay in the family. I hate that these issues are tarnishing the reputation of this truck line.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man that’s terrible to hear. Your build date is 2020 or 21? Seems like high mileage in less than 2 months for a 21 and already on the 2nd failure good lord…

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good luck on the jeep part. I heard they weren’t even gonna start accepting orders for wagoneers until mid 2022. That’s a long wait if that’s the case.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a previous Grand Cherokee owner, I was waiting on the Waggoneer also, waiting and waiting and waiting... My GC was getting long in the tooth and was just hitting the point that other owners were having major and expensive problems. By BLIND luck and a lot of internet sleuthing, I happened onto a Dmax in the color I wanted for MSRP. If the waggy was out, I'd have had one. I believe the Denali is the perfect vehicle for my family also. There is no substitute for the room it offers. But I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this Dmax and very thankful not to be facing this lifter issue...

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a previous Grand Cherokee owner, I was waiting on the Waggoneer also, waiting and waiting and waiting... My GC was getting long in the tooth and was just hitting the point that other owners were having major and expensive problems. By BLIND luck and a lot of internet sleuthing, I happened onto a Dmax in the color I wanted for MSRP. If the waggy was out, I'd have had one. I believe the Denali is the perfect vehicle for my family also. There is no substitute for the room it offers. But I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this Dmax and very thankful not to be facing this lifter issue...
Same here. My previous ride was a 2017 Grand Cherokee black on black everything. Only reason why I am here is because of the stall issue I experienced. I said "F" that and started to look for a way out. Crazy thing is, I had felt some hesitance months prior twice where it wanted to stall on me at a light. This last time when it happened I was sitting like a dead duck for about 2 mins with no power at a 4 way intersection with the family. Another funny thing is never threw any CEL. Began searching other forums and did find others experienced similar things with many trips to stealership and no solution. Guess if no cel they can't diagnose or try to replicate. Was a good lil ride compared to this one and almost pulled the trigger on a Durango RT but deal fell thru.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2014 Eco Diesel and put 100K fairly trouble free miles on it. 25-31 MPG and 600+ mile range. Did many 1500+ mile road trips with it.. With no more diesel offerings from FCA I went on the hunt for the last great Diesel SUV made. Pretty sure the LM2 Dmax will be the last one anyone ever makes. Hope to get many thousands of miles from it. So far..... still fairly impressed. 23-30 MPG so far and no Turbo lag like the GC. The proof is in the pudding so we will see how this vehicle performs as it unfolds....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You should be getting a nice loaner to drive in the interim, just let them fix it. You're not doing yourself any favors in switching over to a Fiat. If anything, get another with the diesel engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401