2500 mile road trip in my '11 SSV, advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trc54

Reaction score
Due to some family health issues it looks like I'll be heading to Tuscan, AZ next Tuesday. I plan on possibly doing new tires and for certain an oil change but I'm curious as to what other things I should look out for with these trucks? The current motor in the truck (ly6) has about 78k miles on it. The body and everything else has around 167k miles. I plan on checking out the suspension as I have previously noted some clunking when turning super tight but I'm not certain that's a necessary repair for this trip.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2500 Suburban with the LY6 has 190k miles on it. I would not hesitate to load it up and take a cross-country trip tomorrow, and wouldn't worry a bit about anything breaking.

Throw a spare serpentine in the back, some basic tools and call it good. Have a safe trip.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the fluid levels
check for leaks (including the rear diff)
check the Air pressure PSI in all 4 tires and spare tire (these tend to be lower since a little seeps out)
Check your light bulbs make sure they are in working condition

2 bottles of PEA based fuel cleaner on each fill up optional...

Last edited:

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically speaking a road trip (generally meaning the engine gets up and running then maintains a fairly constant speed) is what a vehicle is meant to do. It's the starting and stopping that wear it out. At least that's how I heard a mechanic explain it when talking about the engine. Who knows...

What I usually do on a long trip is the usual stuff to prep the vehicle, plus map out shops and tow options along the route should something happen. That way you're not stuck on the side of the road trying to find that shit out. Of course you may already have options through AAA or your insurance for road side assistance.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Due to some family health issues it looks like I'll be heading to Tuscan, AZ next Tuesday. I plan on possibly doing new tires and for certain an oil change but I'm curious as to what other things I should look out for with these trucks? The current motor in the truck (ly6) has about 78k miles on it. The body and everything else has around 167k miles. I plan on checking out the suspension as I have previously noted some clunking when turning super tight but I'm not certain that's a necessary repair for this trip.

With fresh tires and oil, all that is left to do is buy beef jerky and mountain dew! Prayers said for traveling mercies for you and yours.

Last edited:

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2500 Suburban with the LY6 has 190k miles on it. I would not hesitate to load it up and take a cross-country trip tomorrow, and wouldn't worry a bit about anything breaking.

Throw a spare serpentine in the back, some basic tools and call it good. Have a safe trip.
Spare belts AND tensioner assemblies. I've had two break when replacing belts. Granted, this was on 94-96 B-body cars, but it really hit home that that's something you need to have available should they break, and you're miles away from a parts house.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just make sure to have stuff for a flat tire. Everything else is basic maintenance you should be doing regardless of a trip.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say check your fluids, brake pads, visually inspect everything else (take care of anything that requires immediate attention), fill it up and drive

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do a lot of interstate driving and if you're sticking to major highways I've noticed that so many exits have an AutoZone, O'Reily, etc within a mile or two...so I'd say have basic hand tools, and make sure you have an app like Uber downloaded so you can get a lift to a parts store if needed, and make sure you have phone charger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT