First Post, long time reader, need some advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
First off, let me say that TYF has saved my butt more than once on my truck. Purchased it 4 years ago and noticed a terrible noise in the front left. After a short search I was lead to this forum, which quickly taught me how to diagnose a worn hub, and replace it.

I'm extremely happy with the truck, and read almost daily about upgrades or projects I want to invest in, if only I had more money to do so. Here's where you guys come in, because I have just a few questions.

The Truck is a 2005 Z71 Tahoe 4x4, and it has about 160k miles on it. I use a K&N air filter, and run Mobil1 Full synthetic oil. I recently replaced the plugs with AcDelco Iridiums, and the wires with Magnecors (both following advice found on this forum again)

After a Minor accident this year (rear-ended a toyota camry at about 40mph) and a failed O2 sensor that led me on a wild goose chase through fuel and engine components, the truck is back to top shape. On the (very worn) 275/70R17 Wranglers and 87 octane I'm averaging about 18mpg on the highway.

But, some things are very not right.
1) I know I need shocks because the body has started to bounce (like an undampened spring), and when I had the accident the nose dove so much that it crumpled my hood on the back of the car. There are LOTS of threads about shock for lifting, and shocks for lowering. I really want to keep the car kind of close to stock, but maybe a bit beefier or stiffer shock, for moderate off-road use. I've also read quite about about the torsion keys and bars, and I think I want to try to crank those enough to level the front with the rear. Will this upset my ride? Is it worth it? Is it necessary for when I buy my tires (see #2)? Should I also invest in anti-roll/anti-sway bars?

2) Its time now for tires. Luckily I haven't had to buy them yet, but I want to get them on before the weather starts to turn. Not that its gets cold and snowy here in Tennessee that early, but the truck will be possibly making the trip to south Dakota this winter for my girlfriend's family, and I definitely don't want to get up there and have trouble. We aren't avid trail offroaders, although I want a tire that presumably could do that, but I also want one that will be well behaved in snow, rain, and dry pavement over long rides. I know Michelin might be a top suggestion, but they are a bit more than I truthfully want to spend on tires. I plan on stepping the size up to 285/70R17, and want something that looks good too. Cooper Discovery A/T3 look to be a decent bargain tire, and I've heard good things about the Nitto Terra Grapplers, but I've never rode either of them on any of my cars. I have used BFGs before, and love them, but again I just don't want something that makes a 12 hour ride unbearable with tire roar.

3) Corvette Servo is going to happen, again thanks to this forum. Is there one for the higher gears, or should that be avoided?

4) Read about Head units in these things until I'm blue in the face. Mine has the touchscreen nav, and while the nav is essentially too outdated to matter, I'm more afraid of the ballooning costs of replacing the unit, and then dealing with having certain aspects not working anymore. I've read about adding an aux in piggy backed on the Sat-radio (again, this forum) and think that will be the easiest and best way to go for using the phone in the truck (unless someone knows a way to do the same kind of thing with a bluetooth setup, but I haven't read anything on that). The question is, I was also thinking about wiring up two powered USB ports near the aux in on the unused panel, but I have no experience with that, and was wondering if anyone had ever done anything similar?

So, in summary, you guys are invaluable. I love this forum, and am happy to be a part of the information exchange here. I appreciate any help, or even just links to threads I've missed or been unable to find. Once the work starts on the truck, I'll be sure to post pictures. Thanks again!

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to these specific vehicles, but my recommendation based on numerous other vehicles...

1. Bilstein makes great shocks. My brother runs the 5100 series on his excursion, they eliminate body roll, will last forever, but they do compromise ride quality. It will make your ride stiffer. I am sure Bilstein makes shocks for these trucks that others will recommend shortly (Bilstein HD?).

2. Michelin LTX MS2 are amazing tires, you can get a good 70k out of these tires. The wife has 7 years on hers... I had Cooper AT3's when I bought my pickup and they lasted maybe 20k miles before they were trash. They don't do well in the snow/rain even brand new. My old man bought into the AT3 hype as well and he has maybe 400 miles on his and HATES them.

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
1. Bilstein makes great shocks. My brother runs the 5100 series on his excursion, they eliminate body roll, will last forever, but they do compromise ride quality. It will make your ride stiffer. I am sure Bilstein makes shocks for these trucks that others will recommend shortly (Bilstein HD?).

I had looked into the 5100 series. I'm not really afraid of a stiffer ride (so long as it doesn't completely compromise ride comfort) as the current ride is so soft the car nose dives, and rolls into turns. I don't necessarily want it to be a performance car, and I don't drive it like that, but I feel its definitely shifting too much weight under cornering or braking.

2. Michelin LTX MS2 are amazing tires, you can get a good 70k out of these tires. The wife has 7 years on hers... I had Cooper AT3's when I bought my pickup and they lasted maybe 20k miles before they were trash. They don't do well in the snow/rain even brand new. My old man bought into the AT3 hype as well and he has maybe 400 miles on his and HATES them.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tires. I never really could find anyone that recommended them specifically, but no one really said to stay away either, although I had read of some people having problems 10-20k miles in.

My dad and I both own Tahoes, and I purchased mine specifically because of how much I liked his (2001 LT). They are easy-ish to work on, and we both enjoy doing little things to improve the vehicle.

Yukon2000xl

Reaction score
First off, let me say that TYF has saved my butt more than once on my truck. Purchased it 4 years ago and noticed a terrible noise in the front left. After a short search I was lead to this forum, which quickly taught me how to diagnose a worn hub, and replace it.

I'm extremely happy with the truck, and read almost daily about upgrades or projects I want to invest in, if only I had more money to do so. Here's where you guys come in, because I have just a few questions.

The Truck is a 2005 Z71 Tahoe 4x4, and it has about 160k miles on it. I use a K&N air filter, and run Mobil1 Full synthetic oil. I recently replaced the plugs with AcDelco Iridiums, and the wires with Magnecors (both following advice found on this forum again)

After a Minor accident this year (rear-ended a toyota camry at about 40mph) and a failed O2 sensor that led me on a wild goose chase through fuel and engine components, the truck is back to top shape. On the (very worn) 275/70R17 Wranglers and 87 octane I'm averaging about 18mpg on the highway.

But, some things are very not right.
1) I know I need shocks because the body has started to bounce (like an undampened spring), and when I had the accident the nose dove so much that it crumpled my hood on the back of the car. There are LOTS of threads about shock for lifting, and shocks for lowering. I really want to keep the car kind of close to stock, but maybe a bit beefier or stiffer shock, for moderate off-road use. I've also read quite about about the torsion keys and bars, and I think I want to try to crank those enough to level the front with the rear. Will this upset my ride? Is it worth it? Is it necessary for when I buy my tires (see #2)? Should I also invest in anti-roll/anti-sway bars?

2) Its time now for tires. Luckily I haven't had to buy them yet, but I want to get them on before the weather starts to turn. Not that its gets cold and snowy here in Tennessee that early, but the truck will be possibly making the trip to south Dakota this winter for my girlfriend's family, and I definitely don't want to get up there and have trouble. We aren't avid trail offroaders, although I want a tire that presumably could do that, but I also want one that will be well behaved in snow, rain, and dry pavement over long rides. I know Michelin might be a top suggestion, but they are a bit more than I truthfully want to spend on tires. I plan on stepping the size up to 285/70R17, and want something that looks good too. Cooper Discovery A/T3 look to be a decent bargain tire, and I've heard good things about the Nitto Terra Grapplers, but I've never rode either of them on any of my cars. I have used BFGs before, and love them, but again I just don't want something that makes a 12 hour ride unbearable with tire roar.

3) Corvette Servo is going to happen, again thanks to this forum. Is there one for the higher gears, or should that be avoided?

4) Read about Head units in these things until I'm blue in the face. Mine has the touchscreen nav, and while the nav is essentially too outdated to matter, I'm more afraid of the ballooning costs of replacing the unit, and then dealing with having certain aspects not working anymore. I've read about adding an aux in piggy backed on the Sat-radio (again, this forum) and think that will be the easiest and best way to go for using the phone in the truck (unless someone knows a way to do the same kind of thing with a bluetooth setup, but I haven't read anything on that). The question is, I was also thinking about wiring up two powered USB ports near the aux in on the unused panel, but I have no experience with that, and was wondering if anyone had ever done anything similar?

So, in summary, you guys are invaluable. I love this forum, and am happy to be a part of the information exchange here. I appreciate any help, or even just links to threads I've missed or been unable to find. Once the work starts on the truck, I'll be sure to post pictures. Thanks again!
For shocks I always use bilstein but they are expensive .For anti sway bars you should already have front/rear.Tires I can't say this enough but I use BF Goodrich KO2 all terrain ,by far the best tires I've ever owned on my pickups ,jeeps ,and now my Yukon xl .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitey hoe

Reaction score
So what I did was 11/2 spacers w z71 springs in rear,21/2 keys cranked all the way in the front,extended sway links front and rear ,extended bilsteins all four corners,I kept my stock rims w 11/4 hub centric wheel spacers and 285/70/17 federal my tires.minimal trimming of plastic up front of front tires.This gave me about a 4 in lift w 1200lb more towing w the z71 springs ,great ground clearance and still drives better than new.My cv angles are still great.Half the price or better than a true 4 in lift .u

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't offer much in the area of shocks as I have autoride under my Denali. But on the subject of tires, I'm riding on Michelin ltx a/t2 tires. I really like them. They corner fantastically, they ride well, both on pavement and in rain/snow, which I get both where I live in the winter. I picked them up as takeoffs and scored a super deal. But they are pricey. Which is why I'm saving for a new set already lol. Cornering around the windy mountain roads I live on often means my tires wear out pretty fast. But these michelins have lasted longer than any other set of tires I've had. Overall very happy with them.

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On point number four ... a couple of options, to get your phone in there in there ... the XM input ,works for "Audio" and is certainly the easiest as you don't have to remove the head unit.

If you want to access video phone functions then you have to access the input on the rear of the head unit "Mirror the phone" I belive that would be "Blue Tooth??"

I belive that is covered in this thread.:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/65-phone-mirroring-to-dash-and-rear-screens.63504/

I've done neither option as of now ... it's just stuff I know. :)

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
For shocks I always use bilstein but they are expensive .For anti sway bars you should already have front/rear.Tires I can't say this enough but I use BF Goodrich KO2 all terrain ,by far the best tires I've ever owned on my pickups ,jeeps ,and now my Yukon xl .

I'm willing to pay for the shocks, because I don't want to compromise the vehicle by putting "cheapo" shocks under it, plus Bilsteins are usually longer lasting.

I didn't know if a stiffer aftermarket anti roll/sway bar was worth the investment or not, although I suppose I shouldn't get ahead of myself. The ride will most likely be much improved after just replacing the shocks.

I'd love to get BFG's again, Ive had them on two of my older trucks, and I never had a complaint.

So what I did was 11/2 spacers w z71 springs in rear,21/2 keys cranked all the way in the front,extended sway links front and rear ,extended bilsteins all four corners,I kept my stock rims w 11/4 hub centric wheel spacers and 285/70/17 federal my tires.minimal trimming of plastic up front of front tires.This gave me about a 4 in lift w 1200lb more towing w the z71 springs ,great ground clearance and still drives better than new.My cv angles are still great.Half the price or better than a true 4 in lift .u

Will I have to do any trimming to fit the 285's under the truck without raising that high? I don't really want to go up quite that much, but I do worry about the tires getting under the car. Ive heard both that they will fit on stock without modification (although it seems to be mostly Z71 owners stating that) and that it requires a bit of modification to the wheel well.

Can't offer much in the area of shocks as I have autoride under my Denali. But on the subject of tires, I'm riding on Michelin ltx a/t2 tires. I really like them. They corner fantastically, they ride well, both on pavement and in rain/snow, which I get both where I live in the winter. I picked them up as takeoffs and scored a super deal. But they are pricey.

That makes two votes for the Michelin, and really I've found them for the same price or sometimes cheaper than the BFG's. I really just worry about snow traction with this thing, because my old set of Michelin AT/MS on a smaller truck, only got around in snow because 4wheel drive. I don't go crazy in snow, but there are some severe hills (and valleys) near me, and more than once during a winter I have to "rescue" someone. The Wranglers on it now haven't ever let me down, but they do produce a lot of noise.

On point number four ... a couple of options, to get your phone in there in there ... the XM input ,works for "Audio" and is certainly the easiest as you don't have to remove the head unit.

If you want to access video phone functions then you have to access the input on the rear of the head unit "Mirror the phone" I belive that would be "Blue Tooth??"

I belive that is covered in this thread.:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/65-phone-mirroring-to-dash-and-rear-screens.63504/

I've done neither option as of now ... it's just stuff I know. :)

Awesome find! thank you! It hadn't even occurred to me to think of something like that, I was just barely scratching the surface of trying to imagine wiring a back-up camera into the screen. I think as far as bluetooth, or hands-free calling in the truck, it may be a luxury I just don't need. I had just hoped someone out there had figured out how to do it with the OnStar mic or something that is already in there, because I hate mounting a mic inside the truck, I hate the look of that.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upgraded sway bars made a big difference in my Denali. I went with DJM but Hellwig also makes the same size, which are beefier than all the others. The stock ones are too small for the size of our rigs.

OP
OP
jarydM

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Upgraded sway bars made a big difference in my Denali. I went with DJM but Hellwig also makes the same size, which are beefier than all the others. The stock ones are too small for the size of our rigs.

This matches a lot of things I've read on here, that the stock ones are not strong enough for the weight of our trucks, or maybe that over time the tensile strength is just reduced to a negligible amount. Thanks for the heads up on brands. Where did you get them from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667