22" Wheels ride quality? Gas Mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acceleration, Braking Distances, Mileage are all results of overall wheel/ tire diameter increase. If the overall diameter of the wheel tire combo stays the same none of these areas are changed from stock. That's why the lower sidewall when running 22's. The lower side wall height will ride slightly harsh, but 22's is barely noticeable imo.

I couldn't disagree with your first two sentences more. We are not talking about performance changes due to an overall tire diameter increase, but rotating mass from a weight standpoint, and moving that mass out farther by installing a larger diameter wheel.
If your hypothesis were correct Formula1 cars would have 20" rims not 13".
Anytime, and I mean anytime you go to a smaller diameter lighter wheel with a tire of the same diameter your acceleration improves.
The changes on our tahoe from going to a 20" wheel to a 17" were noticeable, even my wife noticed it without me saying anything to her. The changes in driving dynamics were ALL negative.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

The weight in this case is probably negligible. I haven't weighed them, but the net increase cant be very much when you are talking aluminum wheels.

Now if we are talking about jumping up to something like 37" tall tires, yea, I can see it. But in this case, if the few lbs difference per wheel and tire combo effect performance, there is a bigger problem than wheels and tires.

I can tell the difference when taking 4 lbs off each wheel in my GTO. I could also really tell the difference when I went from 12" rotors to 14". The 14s weighed much more than the factory rotors. Acceleration was really dulled.

Take your 22s off and borrow some 18s from another owner and if you can't tell the difference dynamically I will send you money for lunch.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For street people and the SUV crowd.

Looks > Driving performance

Its a fact. 17s on a Huge SUV look ****

Agreed. If they didn't have such slab sided styling we could get away with a smaller diameter wheel. And on the other side of that is while the 22s look awesome they do make brake rotors look silly.

Skeetobite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Drove 64k miles on 18" wheels with a 2007 Z71 Suburban - best ride ever on bumpy roads. Of course, it had an off road suspension, so it's not apples to apples.

Drove around 55k miles on 20" wheels with a 2011 LTZ Suburban - great ride but noticed the bumps more.

Approaching 6k miles on 22" wheels with a 2015 LTZ Suburban and notice the bumps much more. Especially any washboard, which even the magnetic ride control cannot keep up with. The frost heaving of the freeway joints on Michigan roads is very noticeable as well compared to other models. Although, the overall freeway driving is perfect.

Not a deal breaker in any way. We had a CTS that was far rougher on the roads than the Suburban with 22" wheels

We have about 2 miles of dirt road between the paved roads and our paved driveway. I had an interesting observation the other day; drove the 1973 Nova all day and then took the LTZ out for dinner. What a tremendous difference 41 years makes in suspension design. I forgot all about the minor differences between 18", 20" and 22" wheel sidewalls.

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13's on a Full Size SUV, awesome, you do that.
Factory approved wheel and tire combos have very little effect on performance but noticeable difference in ride quality. Over analyzing an issue to the point of comparing a street wheel tire combo to formula one racing is ludicrous (not the rapper, but he would prefer 22's) The net effect is not enough in this case to say performance is the reason for making a decision either way. I this case it is about what looks right. I have had people on this forum say my 22's look small on this style, and they kind of do. 20's look okay, 18's look like 15's. To the original poster, style baby, whatever fits your style.

I run 285/75 16's on my 3/4 ton on stock wheels, you ought to hear the technical tire dudes cry about that one.

dflawless

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
MPG 22 inches

I drove a 15 with the 18's with 4wd for a few days. I was averages 18 mpg with it. I ended up buying a 15 with the 22's on it. I get just over 15 mpg in this one, and a noticeable difference in ride quality, especially at higher speeds. But, Ill take the 22's all day.

b4z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The larger heavier weight wheels will hurt city mileage more than hwy because on the hwy once they are rolling they want to keep rolling.

STAY IN IT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The larger heavier weight wheels will hurt city mileage more than hwy because on the hwy once they are rolling they want to keep rolling.

Yep. Extra unsprung weight is the big issue decreasing performance as well (Acceleration, braking, etc)

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
I have 16's in the winter and 22's in the summer. The difference in ride is noticeable but not horrible. The change in braking distance is very noticeable, which is my biggest complaint, and I'm not much of a fan. I also lose about 1-1.5MPG with the 22's as well

Sent from Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada