21+ IRS SAG issues when towing product design (looking for someone in Michigan)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Like this". There doesn't appear to be a reason it couldn't be made. The fitting could be put below the spring stay, or maybe worst case, move the stay up to make room and have a shorter, stiffer spring.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Like this". There doesn't appear to be a reason it couldn't be made. The fitting could be put below the spring stay, or maybe worst case, move the stay up to make room and have a shorter, stiffer spring.
Gotchya, yea i get what you are saying…a typical shock/strut setup that houses the coil spring that has the air baffle option is all that is needed. Im willing to bet most of the shock manufacturers will see the importance of this on the new models and start producing them.

elusive_danimal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I posted this on another thread. But can you just buy oem magneride and air shock system and bolt it up? Are the plugs there for magnride and the air system? I know on boats that no matter what options you have the boat built with they have the plugs just sitting there ready to go. Let me know what you think!

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this on another thread. But can you just buy oem magneride and air shock system and bolt it up? Are the plugs there for magnride and the air system? I know on boats that no matter what options you have the boat built with they have the plugs just sitting there ready to go. Let me know what you think!
I feel like you didn't read the thread. You can likely do it, at great expense, but you might as well wait for a full aftermarket system. For sure, the air lines are not installed. There is a reason you hear of more owners replacing auto level systems with basic suspension components than the opposite.

Plus, there is no way I'm going to install a system that will collapse if an air spring falls.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont see why they wouldnt help with towing. However, at a 35% increase in load capacity over the oem springs, i would venture to say the ride will suffer a bit…especially when unloaded/not towing.

Its an option though none the less!
Yeah, barring a ringing endorsement, I'll probably try the coil Sumo spring first.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, barring a ringing endorsement, I'll probably try the coil Sumo spring first.
Considering their price and ease of installation, i think its a product worth trying. Hell, they could even be removed if not using them for a long period of time if it happens to make the ride harsh.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont see why they wouldnt help with towing. However, at a 35% increase in load capacity over the oem springs, i would venture to say the ride will suffer a bit…especially when unloaded/not towing.

Its an option though none the less!

I think the biggest challenge is finding shocks/struts with valving that will match the increased spring rate.

While it may be a 35% increase in load capacity, it is possible that the spring rate % increase may not be nearly as much as the load capacity increase. Maybe if the spring rate is only 10-20% greater than factory, a Bilstein 5100 would be appropriate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts