21+ IRS SAG issues when towing product design (looking for someone in Michigan)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

judders

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to find anyone with a a suburban Tahoe Yukon or Yukon xl who is close to airlift in Michigan. They want to work on a product for the newer models to eliminate the rear squat which we all know is a problem unless you got your ride with the air ride from the manufacturer. Like many others probably assumed when purchasing I assumed it had a rear coil you could slap an airlift 1000 etc in not realizing it was a coil over in the rear.

I have a 2023 RST suburban diesel 0 issues towing, other than the squat, which I would like to eliminate for more solid handling while towing the boat. There is 0 way these vehicles can tow the max without sag even with a wdh. 6000 lb boat and its sagging significantly first 600 mile round trip to the river. tracks straight but you can feel the weight in the rear and over time that's going have a effect on the steering components etc.

Air lift is based out of mighigan, spoke to their product design team directly and would they love anyone who's there to evaluate what they could possibly do for a product as its a decent amount of us who would love to have an affordable product that will make us safer. Not sure what chevy was thinking honestly with the IRS and no aftermarket thought for towing advertising it as a max rated tow SUV.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long do they need? I'm trailering through Middlebury, IN and perhaps could detour up on the way to Toronto.

I also asked Monroe when they will release their Max-airs. I can't believe GM didn't at least make rear air suspension part of tow package. I don't recall an option to add air on the RST build sheet, but maybe I overlooked it.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to find anyone with a a suburban Tahoe Yukon or Yukon xl who is close to airlift in Michigan. They want to work on a product for the newer models to eliminate the rear squat which we all know is a problem unless you got your ride with the air ride from the manufacturer. Like many others probably assumed when purchasing I assumed it had a rear coil you could slap an airlift 1000 etc in not realizing it was a coil over in the rear.

I have a 2023 RST suburban diesel 0 issues towing, other than the squat, which I would like to eliminate for more solid handling while towing the boat. There is 0 way these vehicles can tow the max without sag even with a wdh. 6000 lb boat and its sagging significantly first 600 mile round trip to the river. tracks straight but you can feel the weight in the rear and over time that's going have a effect on the steering components etc.

Air lift is based out of mighigan, spoke to their product design team directly and would they love anyone who's there to evaluate what they could possibly do for a product as its a decent amount of us who would love to have an affordable product that will make us safer. Not sure what chevy was thinking honestly with the IRS and no aftermarket thought for towing advertising it as a max rated tow SUV.

How long do they need? I'm trailering through Middlebury, IN and perhaps could detour up on the way to Toronto.

I also asked Monroe when they will release their Max-airs. I can't believe GM didn't at least make rear air suspension part of tow package. I don't recall an option to add air on the RST build sheet, but maybe I overlooked it.

The issue is that the spring rate of their rear coils isn't sufficient to keep the vehicle relatively level under max tongue weight.

Most 1/2 ton pickups compensate for this by having slightly more rake so that when the rear is loaded, the truck is level.

However, the only way to tell whether this is actually a problem within the design of the vehicle is to take the vehicle + trailer to a scale to see how much weight the steer, drive, and trailer axles are carrying. It is possible the truck could look squatted but still be within the design parameters.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, obviously. That's why they offer an air spring option, to pump up the spring rate. But it seems obvious that should be part of the "tow" package.

I'm going to have to study part numbers and see if we can just bolt up the OEM air suspension parts and add a compressor.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, obviously. That's why they offer an air spring option, to pump up the spring rate. But it seems obvious that should be part of the "tow" package.

I'm going to have to study part numbers and see if we can just bolt up the OEM air suspension parts and add a compressor.

Personally, I don't like this option. The only air spring option that I find as an acceptable design with long term use is the one in the Ram 3500 where the air spring supplements the leaf spring.

When a stand alone air spring system fails, there's a good chance that your vehicle will be squatted to the point where it's not drivable over longer distances.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems the air spring is inside the coil (think air shock), so similar to what you are saying. Sure, in failure it will drop to normal sag, but that's it.

Also, think about it. This is a 1500. Having a 3500 style suspension is overkill. I can sacrifice a little durability for IRS.

301Bobbo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Agree. Without Max Tow package ($5K) or factory air shocks why even have an 8400# tow rating. The hitch has a sticker says only 840# allowed.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree. Without Max Tow package ($5K) or factory air shocks why even have an 8400# tow rating. The hitch has a sticker says only 840# allowed.
Max Tow doesn't address squat. :p

I need to find someone who knows the difference between these part numbers:

ACDELCO 84844874 GM Original Equipment Info

Fits Rear Left; Suspension Code(8GM), Suspension Code(8GN), Suspension Code(8GP)
or Rear Right; Suspension Code(9GM), Suspension Code(9GN), Suspension Code(9GP)

84844874__ra_m.jpg
$81.79

ACDELCO 84844875 GM Original Equipment Info

Fits Rear Left; Suspension Code(8GR), Suspension Code(8GS), Suspension Code(8GT)
or Rear Right; Suspension Code(9GR), Suspension Code(9GS), Suspension Code(9GT)

84844875__ra_m.jpg
$84.79

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar