2023 Yukon Denali 6.2L, Dead at 3600 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I'd hate to pay that price and have the machine gutted and reassembled - even by a well experienced technician. If they have a tech. who is experienced in that procedure.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Picked up our truck (finally) after a 9 month wait on the custom order -January 9th. 2023 Yukon Denali with 6.2L. Logged some good mileage, really enjoying the vehicle and all it has to offer. 3600 miles later and exactly 1 month to the day on Feb 9th -

Driving home 1 block from my house, engine shuts off, car goes into neutral and that’s it. I rolled up the hill and pulled over to the curb. Both Kids asleep in the back on an 80° day. Battery good. Car wouldn’t turn over at all. First flatbed couldn’t get us because the car was locked in park and didn't want to damage drivetrain. (3pm) Service dept at the local dealer knew no way of manually unlocking the transmission / getting the car out of “park”.

Fast forward six hours later (9pm) via GM roadside assistance, second truck arrives with correct dolly equipment, all four wheels off the ground and away we go. Cars currently sitting at the dealer with no status updates (after 1 full day) other than potential serious internal engine issues.

What bugs me is zero warning lights, zero signs of issues, really zero anything to clue me in that my vehicle is about to fully fail. With all the tech available, I’m just dead in the water on the side of the road with two sleeping kids in back .. luckily my brother in law came to the rescue in his Tesla.

My first GM Vehicle and really a pretty awful experience. Had high hopes for the 6.2L and all of the great tech this Yukon had to offer. More to come here
View attachment 391848View attachment 391849
Well your story is essentially identical in every way to mine with my fully loaded 2023 Yukon XL Denali. Except it’s happened twice to me in the first 10 months of ownership and it’s back at the dealer at the moment. First time they said it was the battery. This time they say battery and fuse block. I don’t believe either. The vehicle has other issues. Tailgate isn’t working properly, there’s a fluttering/rattling at 60mph in the rear passenger door area, there’s some kind of hammering in the centerline that matches the engine RPM. If they “fix” it and then this happens again I’m dumping this thing and buying a 2013 Tahoe and doing to it the same things I did to my 05 Tahoe. I didn’t buy a $100k vehicle for it to just randomly shut down and go into neutral while driving down the road with the only resolution being “return to dealer on rollback”.

I have an employee that bought an 80th anniversary edition Jeep Grand Cherokee and she’s in a lawsuit with Chrysler over all its defects that they are unable to fix. I’m starting to think everything made during the pandemic is shit.

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
I agree. I'd hate to pay that price and have the machine gutted and reassembled - even by a well experienced technician. If they have a tech. who is experienced in that procedure.
I’m a month into ownership on this vehicle so any “price” will be fully paid through my warranty.

Is there a nice way to ask if they have an engine installation expert at their service location without insulting anyone? I can’t imagine they’ve done many engine swaps on a 2023. I mean we’re only like 45 days into the year.

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
Well your story is essentially identical in every way to mine with my fully loaded 2023 Yukon XL Denali. Except it’s happened twice to me in the first 10 months of ownership and it’s back at the dealer at the moment. First time they said it was the battery. This time they say battery and fuse block. I don’t believe either. The vehicle has other issues. Tailgate isn’t working properly, there’s a fluttering/rattling at 60mph in the rear passenger door area, there’s some kind of hammering in the centerline that matches the engine RPM. If they “fix” it and then this happens again I’m dumping this thing and buying a 2013 Tahoe and doing to it the same things I did to my 05 Tahoe. I didn’t buy a $100k vehicle for it to just randomly shut down and go into neutral while driving down the road with the only resolution being “return to dealer on rollback”.

I have an employee that bought an 80th anniversary edition Jeep Grand Cherokee and she’s in a lawsuit with Chrysler over all its defects that they are unable to fix. I’m starting to think everything made during the pandemic is shit.
Sounds like we both need to get very familiar with our states’ respective lemon laws. It really is sad that for the price tag on these vehicles, the standard for reliability isn’t higher.

I’m praying these guys can do a clean swap on the motor (if there are any available) and be out of this mess soon.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we both need to get very familiar with our states’ respective lemon laws. It really is sad that for the price tag on these vehicles, the standard for reliability isn’t higher.

I’m praying these guys can do a clean swap on the motor (if there are any available) and be out of this mess soon.
They may want that engine back to look at to see what happened in reading forum for a few years I haven't seen very many 6.2 with spun bearing. If that happens, they (engine build plant) will send out engine to get yours back to plant for complete disassembly.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score

I think the issue on the motor is not the swap - that’s actually easier now than on some previous generations given how componentized and plug-and-play everything is. The issue is that basically every LS engine (and compatible transmission) seems to be on backorder for months. I think best case is that you are looking at months of a free rental followed by a good outcome engine swap.

In my case I’m still waiting on a definitive answer from the dealer as to what the problem is. They will have had it for a week tomorrow so I will call tomorrow evening before close and find out what’s up. I’ll be asking for a rental at that time too unless the answer is “everything is fine, come and get it”. I’ll post back as the situation develops.

To be honest there’s a tiny part of me that hopes it’s something catastrophic so I can just dump the lease and build a GMT-900 Tahoe like a did a few years ago with my GMT-800 Tahoe (build is completely documented on this site - look at my old posts).

I talked to a guy in finance when I was at the dealership earlier in the week and he said to me “honestly - between you and me - we are 9 months behind delivering vehicles and the demand is so high and supply so limited that if you want out of your lease I can guarantee we want your vehicle and would give you cash to buy it out.” So there’s that.

I’m just thinking if I want to buy a 2013/2014 Tahoe and build it out to my spec, amongst many other things I would want a LS376/525 with a 6L80E in it and as I said the wait on those is months. So one way or another the desired solution to the problem would be a slow roll. I got the 2023 specifically to avoid that. But a $50k buy and build on a 2014 vs $100k on the 2023 has a financial attraction all its own. And no, I couldn’t care less about the “image” difference between driving a fully loaded 2023 Denali and a resto-modded 2014. “Image” isn’t a factor.

Dragon800

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did they help you organize a rental or reimbursement? That’s miserable - sorry to hear. 403 miles is nothing . How these cars pass through quality control is beyond me .

My question is what’s the cut off for how long your brand new vehicle can be tied up at the shop? GM must have a policy documented somewhere. 2 months? / 6 months? before they offer proper reimbursement or build you a new vehicle ..
Multiple rentals all half as good as the Denali ultimate maybeee. They paid my first car payment. They have not organized repurchase. They are deferring me to lemon law. Sucks bc I can’t find another Denali ultimate. I wanna try make gM find me one. My ultimate is back at dealer again. GM tech couldn’t figure it out. Not sure what they are gonna do now. Beautiful truck it’s a damn shame

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
My 2023 Yukon XL Denali update for today. Heard from the dealer. "It's not your battery, it's something more serious we can't get your engine to turn over. We need next week to do diagnostics. Come get an Acadia as a loaner."

How many miles on yours? Also was curious how you managed to get your hands on a 2023, 10 months ago?!

I submitted my order in may 2022 for a 2022 model. I think in October it got flipped to 2023 model. It arrived at our dealer just before January 2023.

I think I’ve come to grips with the fate of my truck. Appreciate all the info here. It’s comforted me a bit to hear the engine swap on mine should be okay. I was initially not very optimistic. But it does feel like I’ll be driving my suburban rental for a few months

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mccubbinsjl