2023 Yukon Denali 6.2L, Dead at 3600 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These bottom end issues cropping up (spun main or rod bearings, thrust bearings) are very uncharacteristic of the LS series engines. I wonder what manufacturing or QC changes led to these. There is always a reason.

LT engine.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LT engine.
Yes, LT. Thanks. My point though was that the current engine architecture has now been around almost a decade in production. And to my knowledge this is the first we’re seeing a pattern of bottom end failures.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
Yes, LT. Thanks. My point though was that the current engine architecture has now been around almost a decade in production. And to my knowledge this is the first we’re seeing a pattern of bottom end failures.
That’s a fair point. And further to your previous point while the LS and LT architectures are a little different they are close enough to be fraternal twins. Regardless, we have an engine architecture here known for its reliability and robustness that has recently seemed to have developed issues in an area it’s not know for having issues in. To me that point to assembly/manufacturing not to the architecture itself.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, we know of 2x of these fails, right? Don’t recall seeing a ton of bottom end issues…but agree…could be an assembly or parts quality issue.
I believe we've seen 3 here, and of course I have no way to extrapolate that to the whole owner base. But given that people are seeing many weeks to months for replacement engines, it suggests that it's not an isolated problem.

That’s a fair point. And further to your previous point while the LS and LT architectures are a little different they are close enough to be fraternal twins. Regardless, we have an engine architecture here known for its reliability and robustness that has recently seemed to have developed issues in an area it’s not know for having issues in. To me that point to assembly/manufacturing not to the architecture itself.
Yes, I agree that it's likely manufacturing related.

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
And, we know of 2x of these fails, right? Don’t recall seeing a ton of bottom end issues…but agree…could be an assembly or parts quality issue.
I counted more than that just on the Similar Threads suggestions at the bottom of this thread. If you including any GM vehicle using this engine not just Yukons and also include other vehicles of the same platform using other variant engines, the problem is a lot bigger than 3. Again that points to manufacturing/assembly issues not specifically L87 architecture issues.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I counted more than that just on the Similar Threads suggestions at the bottom of this thread. If you including any GM vehicle using this engine not just Yukons and also include other vehicles of the same platform using other variant engines, the problem is a lot bigger than 3. Again that points to manufacturing/assembly issues not specifically L87 architecture issues.
I reviewed the 5x "similar threads" below (which came up for me, might be different for you, I don't know the forum algorithm) One was a fuel injector, one was battery, one was transmission control module, one was lifters, one the OP never came back and said what the issue was.
None were "bottom end" (crank shaft, rod bearings, etc).

I do agree that we have seen more than usual as of late reported here, but I don't recall seeing info on this forum that indicates a large issue w/ "bottom end" issues. That said, like Geotrash said, we don't have a way to extrapolate to everyone, not everyone reports in..and agree, bottom end issues were super rare to non-existent in the prior generations...so, seeing 3 here might be cause for concern, or it could be a bad lot of something, or a bad run, etc...which is why I suggested it might be interesting to see the manufacture date of the failed engines.

As an aside, saw that GM is shutting down Fort Wayne assembly for 2 weeks to "manage inventory." I read that as "pickups are not selling now, and they don't want to have to incentivise them." This may be good for meeting the demand of replacement engines people are waiting on?

OP
OP
NoYukonYet_1Jeep
Reaction score
All good info here. Can’t really speak to wider issues with this motor. I went in with all good impressions of the L87 6.2L. I echo what someone had posted about things made during the pandemic being shit. Simplest way to put it, but I think also some bad luck on my end.

But Quick update for the forum - motor has arrived at the local dealer.

This Friday (2 days away) will be four weeks at the dealer. Initially said their turn around to install was 2 days but I’m happy to let them test it for a few extra days to make sure things are running smooth. Wish me luck gentlemen

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
All good info here. Can’t really speak to wider issues with this motor. I went in with all good impressions of the L87 6.2L. I echo what someone had posted about things made during the pandemic being shit. Simplest way to put it, but I think also some bad luck on my end.

But Quick update for the forum - motor has arrived at the local dealer.

This Friday (2 days away) will be four weeks at the dealer. Initially said their turn around to install was 2 days but I’m happy to let them test it for a few extra days to make sure things are running smooth. Wish me luck gentlemen
Do you know where your engine came from? I need a new L87 too and my dealer “can’t find one”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts