2023 Yukon Denali 6.2L, Dead at 3600 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am going to predict these newer versions will have hideous resale value in the future.

Up until 2014, these were tanks. I have owned a bunch of Suburbans, Escalades & Yukons - most high mileage. I have never replaced a tranny or motor.

Other than wear parts, the only issues I have had is from rust killing something underneath.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why? Tons of issues. Tbh all generations have widespread problems. The latest ones are actually solid. Just look at the forum traffic.

Exactly, look at the forum traffic. The T1's are FAR from solid. Of course, the 900s have issues, but none of the common issues leave you on the side of the road while on vacation (maybe some older vehicle problems but almost all of those problems give warning). I see very few posts about 800s and 900s just dying with no warning, even at their current age. There are SO many posts about the T1 trucks dying while people are on vacation. I wouldn't trust one of these trucks with the way these engines are failing. Oil consumption (on the AFM 5.3L only) is worst problem the 900s have and you can keep it full and keep driving. You can't keep driving when the lifters fail at 5k miles, or the rod bearings spin and the engine seizes. Or when the DPF clogs up or the DEF system fails and locks you into reduced power mode. I want a vehicle that WILL get me where I'm going. My 900 will get me there and back every single time.

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't count on one hand the posts of a 3.0 Dmax leaving anyone stranded because of DPF or DEF issues. Please don't lump them in with the 5.3/6.2 issues.....
The T1's may have some issues but the Dmax ain't one of them.....

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant that if those systems fail, you are stranded.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly, look at the forum traffic. The T1's are FAR from solid. Of course, the 900s have issues, but none of the common issues leave you on the side of the road while on vacation (maybe some older vehicle problems but almost all of those problems give warning). I see very few posts about 800s and 900s just dying with no warning, even at their current age. There are SO many posts about the T1 trucks dying while people are on vacation. I wouldn't trust one of these trucks with the way these engines are failing. Oil consumption (on the AFM 5.3L only) is worst problem the 900s have and you can keep it full and keep driving. You can't keep driving when the lifters fail at 5k miles, or the rod bearings spin and the engine seizes. Or when the DPF clogs up or the DEF system fails and locks you into reduced power mode. I want a vehicle that WILL get me where I'm going. My 900 will get me there and back every single time.
How many posts ? You know how many they sell a year ? The older ones are not even comparable and were never even top of class . the latest generation is actually a competitive product and best in class. It's the same with every gen, they get better with every iteration.

Last edited:

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't count on one hand the posts of a 3.0 Dmax leaving anyone stranded because of DPF or DEF issues. Please don't lump them in with the 5.3/6.2 issues.....
The T1's may have some issues but the Dmax ain't one of them.....
Even the lifter issue isn't as widespread as people want to think. If it was there would be a recall. It's a handful VS the 100s of thousands sold a year.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many posts ? You know how many they sell a year ? The older ones are not even comparable and were never even top of class . the latest generation is actually a competitive product and best in class.

Who cares? I prefer reliability and low cost of ownership over the latest and greatest when it comes to transportation. Vehicles should not be disposable items like a phone or a computer considering how much they cost.

My 08 is plenty comfortable, my new seat cushions feel great, it rides fabulous on Michelins, it’s paid for, and doesn’t break. I’d rather get there and get back without a tow truck or dealer visit than have a big payment to have the “best” when all that tech won't even work next year when the next new stuff comes out and you need another new truck and a new phone to go with it. Oh, and don’t forget to pay Google for your radio to work. Pass.

If you’re just looking for someone to make you feel good about your purchase, you won’t be getting that from me.

Last edited:

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who cares? I prefer reliability and low cost of ownership over the latest and greatest when it comes to transportation. Vehicles should not be disposable items like a phone or a computer considering how much they cost.

My 08 is plenty comfortable, my new seat cushions feel great, it rides fabulous on Michelins, it’s paid for, and doesn’t break. I’d rather get there and get back without a tow truck or dealer visit than have a big payment to have the “best” when all that tech won't even work next year when the next new stuff comes out and you need another new truck and a new phone to go with it. Oh, and don’t forget to pay Google for your radio to work. Pass.

If you’re just looking for someone to make you feel good about your purchase, you won’t be getting that from me.
I think you missed the point. I asked how many posts there have been compared to the 100s of thousands sold. The 21+ forum is largely dead and not many issues compared to every other forum here.

Payments ? What?
Android auto/ apple car play is free to use.

I'm saying plenty of us came here because the 21+ is a competitive product. The old ones never were compared to the competition.

I'm glad you like your 08. Id never consider it. People forget that GM product was so bad during those years that they needed to be bailed out or go under.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s all a numbers game. No one knows how many have failed vs. how many they made. What I do know is that I’ve been on this forum a long time and the amount of threads about major issues has definitely increased with the last two generations and I’m not the first person to bring it up.

What was the competition? The Expedition? The Durango? There aren’t any other body-on-frame SUVs. I’d have an 08 GM over either of those any day of the week. Some products were bad from that time but the trucks certainly were not that bad. They didn’t need a bailout because of the of the products, people were buying them. They needed a bailout because of poor management and the recession.