2021 Yukon Denali---POS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali Mike 2016

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A6013D74-C7A8-4904-B7A3-E24E9AADA4E3.jpeg My 2016 Yukon Denali wt 77k miles now needs a new 6.2 engine. Piston/rods/lifters the issue. GMC dealer wants $8k to replace. To top it off, they cannot locate a new engine anywhere in the U.S. so now what. $80k POS. Any ideas?

sfc_jones

Reaction score
View attachment 281223 My 2016 Yukon Denali wt 77k miles now needs a new 6.2 engine. Piston/rods/lifters the issue. GMC dealer wants $8k to replace. To top it off, they cannot locate a new engine anywhere in the U.S. so now what. $80k POS. Any ideas?
I wish GM would can the AFT/DOD crap. I removed that stuff and installed DOD delete on my 2007 Tahoe and will do it on my 2010 Suburban pretty soon.

NRAMO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought our Denali around Jan 2021. Currently have around 12,000 miles.

1. Running board speed is stupid slow and cant adjust speed
2. A warning alarm comes up every other time regarding cameras and cameras wont work (GMC cant figure out problem)
3. Alarm started about two weeks ago saying SD card failure (GMC couldn't find issue)
4. Then a week ago the NAV started acting up and doesn't work due to some new alarm
5. Yesterday 6/4/2021 Engine light with a few other came on and SUV wont do over 50 mph
6. GMC service is terrible and they don't offer loaner cars while troubleshoot and repair
7. Getting rid of this pile of junk

on a positive side...It rides nice

Sounds like a good case for the Lemon Law.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the same engine and transmission as the previous generation ...

Actually, it kinda isn't. Remember, GM says they were going to make trucks without the AFM/DOD because of the chip shortage. There might be conflict of parts in assembly, resulting in AFM DOD parts being used when the shouldn't, or AFM DOD ECM being used when they shouldn't.

Neither of you are accurate, actually. The 21's have an entirely different valvetrain and electronics in the motor - Dynamic Fuel Management system that has replaced the Active Fuel Management system. (This is where the new lifters come in) --but the Silverado/Sierra that are being with the Dynamic Fuel Management disabled are only having it disabled electronically. (essentially just locked into fulltime V8 mode, but all of the mechanicals are identical. The lifter issue has been linked to bad parts from a supplier, which is supposed to have been remedied by the end of April. (Believe the build issues with the lifters date to mid December 20).

To the OP: Man you are having no luck whatsoever, and it sucks. ... but if you have a different dealer, even if it's Chevy or Cadillac, you may want to check those out. Issues with the Navigation and SD card have been well documented, and the large majority, if not all of the issues have been resolved by replacing the SD Card reader/slot. - that having been missed says to me that the dealer is not up to par.

TYDriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought our Denali around Jan 2021. Currently have around 12,000 miles.

1. Running board speed is stupid slow and cant adjust speed
2. A warning alarm comes up every other time regarding cameras and cameras wont work (GMC cant figure out problem)
3. Alarm started about two weeks ago saying SD card failure (GMC couldn't find issue)
4. Then a week ago the NAV started acting up and doesn't work due to some new alarm
5. Yesterday 6/4/2021 Engine light with a few other came on and SUV wont do over 50 mph
6. GMC service is terrible and they don't offer loaner cars while troubleshoot and repair
7. Getting rid of this pile of junk

on a positive side...It rides nice

My experience has been that the first year of a new platform is very buggy. I have 2015 which was first year of the previous model update. 2016 - 2020 were better. My 2014 was great.

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither of you are accurate, actually. The 21's have an entirely different valvetrain and electronics in the motor - Dynamic Fuel Management system that has replaced the Active Fuel Management system. (This is where the new lifters come in) --but the Silverado/Sierra that are being with the Dynamic Fuel Management disabled are only having it disabled electronically. (essentially just locked into fulltime V8 mode, but all of the mechanicals are identical. The lifter issue has been linked to bad parts from a supplier, which is supposed to have been remedied by the end of April. (Believe the build issues with the lifters date to mid December 20).

To the OP: Man you are having no luck whatsoever, and it sucks. ... but if you have a different dealer, even if it's Chevy or Cadillac, you may want to check those out. Issues with the Navigation and SD card have been well documented, and the large majority, if not all of the issues have been resolved by replacing the SD Card reader/slot. - that having been missed says to me that the dealer is not up to par.

DFM has been used since 2019 ...

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gen...-management-cylinder-deactivation-technology/

Your date for December is also wrong, mine was built in Feb 2021.

Thanks for trying.

Nosidam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
DFM has been used since 2019 ...

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gen...-management-cylinder-deactivation-technology/

Your date for December is also wrong, mine was built in Feb 2021.

Thanks for trying.
Previous generation was AFM, not DFM. DFM was used on GM pickups and likely same/very similar in the '21 SUV's, but it is going in a lot more vehicles now.
I believe he was saying the problem time frame for lifters was 12/20 - 4/21, which would include 2/21. All seems correct to me.
You are welcome.

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Best years for Tahoes/Yukons, IMO, 2000-2006. Others will chime in.

I bought my 2005 Yukon XL SLT new from Manassas VA dealer. It has a Southern Comfort conversion done before it was sent the.dealer. I'm at 203K miles. The only serious problem I've had was the trans going out at 82K. Otherwise it's been mostly wear items that needed replacement. I don't have any rust, mostly because after any snow event, I immediately go to my favorite car wash and have the undercarriage wash and rust inhibitor treatment done during the wash. I love my Yukon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98