2021 GMC Yukon w/40k miles began sputtering/jerking at slow acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WPBMatrix180

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last week, my 2021 GMC Yukon w/40k miles began sputtering/jerking at slow acceleration into higher gears. I never changed the spark plugs. However, there are no check engine lights illuminated on the dashboard. I hooked up an OBD scanner, and of course, since no error messages were illuminated, the scanner check revealed that the vehicle was normal. I've used 87 octane for the majority of the time.

***Any recommendations on the possible issue?

Yes, my vehicle also squealed the day I purchased it. I brought the vehicle to 3 GMC Service Centers and all of the techs told me the sound was normal. Not sure how a 90k truck can sound like a 85 Chevy with a loose belt can be considered normal.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last week, my 2021 GMC Yukon w/40k miles began sputtering/jerking at slow acceleration into higher gears. I never changed the spark plugs. However, there are no check engine lights illuminated on the dashboard. I hooked up an OBD scanner, and of course, since no error messages were illuminated, the scanner check revealed that the vehicle was normal. I've used 87 octane for the majority of the time.

***Any recommendations on the possible issue?

Yes, my vehicle also squealed the day I purchased it. I brought the vehicle to 3 GMC Service Centers and all of the techs told me the sound was normal. Not sure how a 90k truck can sound like a 85 Chevy with a loose belt can be considered normal.
your symptoms sound typical of a maf (mass airflow) problem, the maf meters the air and temp and sends it to the computer to have it decide when to shift and add fuel, etc, etc
if that data being sent is wrong or erratic it "can" cause a multitude of issue's mainly weird shifting, bucking, surging.
however that would be pretty low mileage for it to go bad but is something to look at. maybe try cleaning it and the intake and get a new air filter and see if that helps at all.
a new air filter is like $15, the maf cleaner is like $5 or less and same for throttle body cleaner. use some lint free rags. you can do it yourself and save $75+
cleaning the intake and flushing the transmission fluid are both a good idea to take care of anyway, regardless if it resolves the issue.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another thing to look at is fuel pressure, that requires a tool (fuel pressure tester) which can be purchased for $25-30 at harbor freight or most auto parts stores. you don't need a "$200 snap on" just to check fuel pressure.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
even though flushing the transmission is a very good idea, I don't think the fluid is the problem.

And neither should the spark plugs be at 40k miles; they should last to 100k with nothing else going on in the engine. If you're wondering about them, pull a couple and inspect.

And x2 on the MAF and other component cleaning.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And a good scanner will have PIDs for the fuel pump pressures.

OP
OP
W

WPBMatrix180

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I cleaned out the air filter box, replaced the air filter, and used MAF Sensor cleaning spreay and cleaned out the MAF. The problem still exists.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cleaned out the air filter box, replaced the air filter, and used MAF Sensor cleaning spreay and cleaned out the MAF. The problem still exists.
I would progress to checking the fule pressure then and if possible connect a scanner that can read live data and see what the maf readings are I do not know what the ranges should be off hand but if you post it up here we can determine if that data is within spec or not.
fuel pressure should be 43-44 minimum while running, if it is dipping below that then it could be a issue
if you connect a tester they usually have a extension line so you can prop it up by the window thru the opening in the hood so you can see it while driving

OP
OP
W

WPBMatrix180

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll definitely try checking the fuel pressure. Any recommendations on purchasing the MAF online?

AC Delco Mass Air Flow Sensor 12714453

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo