2021 Duramax problem already

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I'm really confused over this statement... What does this even mean? Help me understand why factory assembly is any different or better than what a human can do.

Human behavior; people take shortcuts. Robots do the same thing every time, people are always finding shortcuts. How many mechanics use a torque wrench every time they tighten a fastener?

I’m saying there’s a difference between what people can do, and what they will do.

Dealer techs are paid by book time, so if they work deliberately and carefully like you might on your own vehicle they earn less. Get a job done quickly they earn more...

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Human behavior; people take shortcuts. Robots do the same thing every time, people are always finding shortcuts. How many mechanics use a torque wrench every time they tighten a fastener?

I’m saying there’s a difference between what people can do, and what they will do.

Dealer techs are paid by book time, so if they work deliberately and carefully like you might on your own vehicle they earn less. Get a job done quickly they earn more...

Come in man, this is bad information. Dealer techs are paid book times for sure, but that tech doesn't want a come back these days, because if the car comes back, he has to fix it for free. Techs do certain jobs that become very familiar, which means they can do it quicker. That doesn't mean that their quality of work is any less. Robots also make mistakes, guess who programs those..humans. I'm sure after you done something day in and day out, you get familiar with it, and probably can do it faster than another person. Does that mean you took shortcuts or did a bad job?

People like you don't understand, that just because an engine or machine has to be disassembled for repairs, make it less reliable or prone to further problems. Most of the time, the repair is BETTER than the assembly from factory. Not everyone is looking for shortcuts, familiarity doesn't equal shortcuts.

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Come in man, this is bad information. Dealer techs are paid book times for sure, but that tech doesn't want a come back these days, because if the car comes back, he has to fix it for free. Techs do certain jobs that become very familiar, which means they can do it quicker. That doesn't mean that their quality of work is any less. Robots also make mistakes, guess who programs those..humans. I'm sure after you done something day in and day out, you get familiar with it, and probably can do it faster than another person. Does that mean you took shortcuts or did a bad job?

People like you don't understand, that just because an engine or machine has to be disassembled for repairs, make it less reliable or prone to further problems. Most of the time, the repair is BETTER than the assembly from factory. Not everyone is looking for shortcuts, familiarity doesn't equal shortcuts.

Following your logic, a new 2021 vehicle with a lengthy repair history will be worth more to a discriminating buyer, because every trip to the shop it got better. I don’t think so.

Spend enough time as I have working on vehicles both new and used and the shortcuts become routine observations. Fasteners not torqued or missing. Wiring support clips left dangling. Connector locks not engaged or snapped off. Gaskets misaligned. It’s not intentional, none of us are perfect.

I’m not into the internet debate scene, so I’ll have nothing further to add on this thread.

I’ll leave it to future readers to judge for themselves whether they would prefer a factory engine or transmission, or one a dealership tech has had the heads off, trans guts out, or what have you.

OP
OP
B

Brett776

Reaction score

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you ! Not 100% sure this is the fix however, the bolts were a little loose. I don’t have a torque wrench so I didn’t go crazy tightening them down but got them snug. I’ll see if this saves a trip the dealer since they won’t even provide a loaner unless it’s going to be there a few days.
For me, a torque wrench is one of the most important tools in my collection. I have six in my roll cab. LOL. Four Snap-on, one Craftsman, and a no-name beam style that got me started almost 40 years ago.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update it started this morning. Called OnStar they couldn’t find any codes. Still going to take it in don’t want my wife and kid stranded.
Mine started up the next day too. Thank God it died at the dealership when the tech was working on it. They replaced the fuel control module and fuel pump. My codes were gone in the morning also but Onstar gave me the code at the time it failed to start. Hopefully they find out what caused this for ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas