2019 GMC Yukon NO Trans Gears, NO Tachometer, NO Oil Pressure, NO Power Steering SECOND TIME!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be a weak/failing battery or battery cables. I have seen batteries even though strong enough to start the vehicle wreck havoc on electrical systems. These systems are very sensitive to electrical fluctuations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not had any issues, but I know an owner with a 19' tahoe that was driving down the road and all systems started shutting down, got towed, nother loose and no faults were found, then it happened 3 days later in his driveway, he replaced the battery because the dealer said it was "fine" he did it on his own, problem has not come back

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll see what they say but now that everything was back to "normal" pre and post tow, I don't have much confidence in dealership diagnostics. I have also never been in a vehicle that had as wonky as a response to a partially failing battery, if that is really the case.

Throughout my lifetime, if a battery was weak, you'd know about it and wouldn't be able to start the vehicle. Not be able to start the vehicle but not shift in to a gear of motion!

It has also not been all that cold, yet, but was colder a few weeks ago when I bought the vehicle. I would have expected a questionable battery to show it's ugly face in temperature extremes. Last evening it was above freezing I believe.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the video. It's "hidden" so only people with the link can view it, as it's not publicly visible on youtube.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll see what they say but now that everything was back to "normal" pre and post tow, I don't have much confidence in dealership diagnostics. I have also never been in a vehicle that had as wonky as a response to a partially failing battery, if that is really the case.

Throughout my lifetime, if a battery was weak, you'd know about it and wouldn't be able to start the vehicle. Not be able to start the vehicle but not shift in to a gear of motion!

It has also not been all that cold, yet, but was colder a few weeks ago when I bought the vehicle. I would have expected a questionable battery to show it's ugly face in temperature extremes. Last evening it was above freezing I believe.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the video. It's "hidden" so only people with the link can view it, as it's not publicly visible on youtube.
there has been a lot of reports of very similar issue's on these newer trucks and it's always the battery and or the cables, there is a tsb on it. These trucks have a historical issue with power problems going back almost 20 years now

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read the Silverado complaints about the ground on the dash being pinched under insulation, but that seems like it was a ~2014 issue during manufacture. Normally that seems to result in the steering jumping out of one's hand, though, nothing with the gauges or transmission.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To keep everyone in the loop here, I also cross-posted this issue in another GM forum. So far I have run across two owners with identical problems. One with a 2019 Suburban with 33,000 miles, and another with a 2019 Yukon Denali with 5,700 miles.

The Suburban owner has been experiencing this issue since October, and their dealership was unable to find anything wrong. The Yukon owner has an appointment next week.

In all cases, eventually everything returns to normal and driving can be continued as normal. Obviously this is an intermittent issue, and is certainly not a one-time-only problem and affects more owners than just myself!

How do we get GM involved? It doesn't sound like there is anything "on the books" regarding this particular issue. But seems potentially TSB worthy once a "cure" is found.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this might be caused by the voltage control in the charging system. I notice on our '19 that sometimes on an extended drive the voltage will drop to just above 12 volts. Everything works fine and the voltage goes back to 14 or so eventually and I guess it's supposed to do this.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd read that contract with CarMax real quick. See if there's any recourse for you in the sale. 30 day return policy? This problem is probably why the machine was at Carmax instead of a new car dealer. Sometimes these intermittent failures are near impossible to diagnose. Keep us posted, real odd situiation.
battery related the Electrical Power steering REQUIRES a ton of power to run them

there was a recall awhile back software update not sure if it applies to the '19 though
they lowered the amount of power assist as it was pulling too much current in the wires

It's 60amp MEGA fuse (12volt)

I would check the fuse as well
Report it to the NHTSA as well

on the GMT900* the Electrical power steering is on 48 volts it still worked even though my 12v battery totally cut off mid drive :O

*select models

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645