2019 GMC Yukon NO Trans Gears, NO Tachometer, NO Oil Pressure, NO Power Steering SECOND TIME!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typing this finally after getting home this evening after dealing with terrible service from GMC's roadside assistance. Had a cancellation from the first tow company, although it turns out that it was most likely a glitch, as the second tow company called me after the "reassigned" tow company had delivered the vehicle to the dealership.

All that aside, I really had a strange issue this evening. I have owned my 2019 GMC Yukon SLT for about one month now, currently has approximately 34,900 miles. Drove to a destination this evening where the vehicle was parked for approximately 45 minutes. Upon getting back in and started the engine, I noticed that my gauge cluster was totally black. Similar to how it looks if you use the remote start, but I did not, as I had used the start button on the dash. So, I pressed the start button a second time, and the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC system illuminated. However, immediately, I received a warning on the dash indicating that "steering assist is reduced, drive with care." I did NOT have any power steering. I also noticed that my headlights were not on, even though auto lamps was enabled. I could turn the headlights on MANUALLY, but the auto lamps was not turning them on. Additionally, the heated seats would not work. AND WORST OF ALL, when I shifted into either DRIVE or REVERSE, I got NOTHING. The vehicle would just roll as if it was in neutral!

I tried restarting a couple of times and the same outcome resulted.

So, to recap, what did I notice didn't work?

1) After engine started, the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC controls were dark until start button was pressed a SECOND time.
2) Tachometer reads ZERO.
3) Oil pressure reads ZERO.
4) Coolant temperature reads incorrectly.
5) No power steering.
6) Traction control light on.
7) No forward or reverse transmission gears.
8) No automatic headlights, but can be turned on manually.
9) No heated seats.

These were the issues that I NOTICED did not work. THERE MAY HAVE BEEN MORE! I can't say for certain as I was fairly flustered and focused on not being able to leave my parking spot.

Upon returning to the vehicle about two hours later to meet the towing company, I restarted the vehicle just for the heck of it. And all of the problems were gone! Totally drive-able. Nonetheless, I had it towed to the dealer. THERE IS NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, either!

Is anyone aware of anything remotely like these symptoms in any other case? I recorded a video and will be including the link shortly!

VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM:

20200113_172717.jpg

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typing this finally after getting home this evening after dealing with terrible service from GMC's roadside assistance. Had a cancellation from the first tow company, although it turns out that it was most likely a glitch, as the second tow company called me after the "reassigned" tow company had delivered the vehicle to the dealership.

All that aside, I really had a strange issue this evening. I have owned my 2019 GMC Yukon SLT for about one month now, currently has approximately 34,900 miles. Drove to a destination this evening where the vehicle was parked for approximately 45 minutes. Upon getting back in and started the engine, I noticed that my gauge cluster was totally black. Similar to how it looks if you use the remote start, but I did not, as I had used the start button on the dash. So, I pressed the start button a second time, and the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC system illuminated. However, immediately, I received a warning on the dash indicating that "steering assist is reduced, drive with care." I did NOT have any power steering. I also noticed that my headlights were not on, even though auto lamps was enabled. I could turn the headlights on MANUALLY, but the auto lamps was not turning them on. Additionally, the heated seats would not work. AND WORST OF ALL, when I shifted into either DRIVE or REVERSE, I got NOTHING. The vehicle would just roll as if it was in neutral!

I tried restarting a couple of times and the same outcome resulted.

So, to recap, what did I notice didn't work?

1) After engine started, the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC controls were dark until start button was pressed a SECOND time.
2) Tachometer read ZERO.
3) Oil pressure read ZERO.
4) No power steering.
5) Traction control light on.
6) No forward or reverse transmission gears.
7) No automatic headlights.
8) No heated seats.

These were the issues that I NOTICED did not work. THERE MAY HAVE BEEN MORE! I can't say for certain as I was fairly flustered and focused on not being able to leave my parking spot.

Upon returning to the vehicle about two hours later to meet the towing company, I restarted the vehicle just for the heck of it. And all of the problems were gone! Totally drive-able. Nonetheless, I had it towed to the dealer. THERE IS NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, either!

Is anyone aware of anything remotely like these symptoms in any other case? I recorded a video and will be including the link shortly!

View attachment 238476
Wow! Just Wow!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lemon it right away... it sounds like a future of problems battery might be dead all ready the controller modules are funky when it's below 11volts

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought it used last month from CarMax on December 11th. I am not sure of the LEMON process but would it qualify at over one years old and nearly 35,000 miles? Build date was September of 2018. I believe the dealership has to be able to at least remedy the problem, no?

I have not checked the battery's load performance but the starter has never sounded weak any time it has been started.

Like I said I had it towed to the dealership so it is documented. Problems never "fix" themselves. It is still under bumper-to-bumper warranty, which expires at 36,009 miles.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He bought it used. Most lemon laws only cover new vehicle purchases.
it applies to ones under warranty. he still has some left (36k) depending on the state.. i would get a print out of it from the dealer and see what work has been done

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked about a service history the first time I came in for the recall, and they said there wasn't anything. This wasn't the dealer I bought it from, as I bought it from Carmax and this is my local GMC dealer. I feel somewhat bad to use them for their services but it is what it is and they do get repaid by General Motors for warranty work so what else can I do.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd read that contract with CarMax real quick. See if there's any recourse for you in the sale. 30 day return policy? This problem is probably why the machine was at Carmax instead of a new car dealer. Sometimes these intermittent failures are near impossible to diagnose. Keep us posted, real odd situiation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011