2019 GMC Yukon NO Trans Gears, NO Tachometer, NO Oil Pressure, NO Power Steering SECOND TIME!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today on Friday, the issue presented itself again. I was fortunately able gain control of the vehicle after multiple restarting attempts so that I could drive it to the same dealership that it was at on January 13th, rather than having to be towed in again. This just happened about an hour and a half ago. All of the symptoms that I described last time happened exactly the same again today, with the exception that after multiple restart attempts I was able to drive away just as if nothing happened.

Once again, they checked the codes and nothing was stored. However this time more people were involved at the service desk. A staff member was looking through the service history and noticed that it came in for some electrical issue in Missouri but that they didn't know what for and would look in to it further. I do know that this vehicle was from Missouri as I saw the Missouri title from Carmax when I bought on December 10th, 2019. I wish the dealership would have dug deeper at the service history the last time I was in.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today on Friday, the issue presented itself again. I was fortunately able gain control of the vehicle after multiple restarting attempts so that I could drive it to the same dealership that it was at on January 13th, rather than having to be towed in again. This just happened about an hour and a half ago. All of the symptoms that I described last time happened exactly the same again today, with the exception that after multiple restart attempts I was able to drive away just as if nothing happened.

Once again, they checked the codes and nothing was stored. However this time more people were involved at the service desk. A staff member was looking through the service history and noticed that it came in for some electrical issue in Missouri but that they didn't know what for and would look in to it further. I do know that this vehicle was from Missouri as I saw the Missouri title from Carmax when I bought on December 10th, 2019. I wish the dealership would have dug deeper at the service history the last time I was in.

interested to see what they come back with.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping so as well. They also mentioned reaching out to get GM involved. I have personally been speaking with a "Chevrolet Executive Resolution Liaison" for about the last 5 weeks since the first incident and it hasn't led to much thus far. Maybe this time more action will be taken as it is the second offense. But then again without the issue presenting itself to the technician while in their care, all they are going to do is throw parts at it. As if my confidence in the vehicle couldn't be anything but low, it's definitely dropped further after this repeat ordeal.

I love the vehicle overall but these intermittent issues couldn't do anything else but lower my confidence in the reliability.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is obviously apparent that TSB # 18-NA-161 was NOT the fix for this problem. Which is what I assumed from the beginning, considering that the last time they claimed to not find anything wrong. Issues don't just resolve themselves without any external input to rectify the issue. Here's to wishful thinking that General Motors will take the issue more seriously this time........but I'm just awaiting the typical response of "could not duplicate customer concern" to rear its ugly head again!

JohnnyR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This sounds like my issue, reported here https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ll-gears-but-1-etc.117019/page-2#post-1420173

Fix, which was only done when dealer was able to replicate failure mode at the dealership (they wouldn't replace any modules without definitive evidence "because GM won't pay us if it doesn't fix the issue") was to replace:
Module 84293872 - Bluetooth wifi module.

It's absolutely insane that this totally non-essential module could fail the entire vehicle. Really poor engineering foresight on GM's part.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Johnny, sorry that you had to re-type that per our conversation in your own thread, but you mentioned posting and I didn't see it. What does GM think about a problem coming in for service multiple times without a fix applied?

Including your own NHSTA complaint for your 2020 Suburban I am also finding two other similar complaints on a 2018 and 2019 Tahoe, and of course my 2019 Yukon which has not yet processed.

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received a call from the GM service center today saying that a new ECM has been ordered. I inquired how they were able to determine that the ECM was the culprit but was told by the service adviser that they will have to get back to me on that. I will update again when I hear more.

Jeramia

Reaction score
question. If you contacted on-star at the time of the problem, could they be used to verify with GM about your problem?

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question. If you contacted on-star at the time of the problem, could they be used to verify with GM about your problem?

That's a good question. I did not try that, but I also do not have an active subscription to Onstar. If it happens again I will have to try.

I received a call back from the dealership about the ECM replacement and they told me that the technician coordinated with General Motors technical support and that replacing the ECM was at the suggestion of GM because "that's the only code they were getting." I don't know what code they were getting this time, however, the last time I had the vehicle towed in January, the three history codes that they said were present (according to the service invoice) were the following;

1) U0100 (Lost Communication With ECM/PCM "A")
2) U0121 (Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module)
3) U0422 (Invalid data received – body control module)

So basically this sounds like somewhat of a guess because they told me "we'll replace the ECM and go from there."

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my Yukon back today after 17 days. The ECM was replaced as previously noted, but one additional item that was found was that ground #141 was found to be full of undercoating. I'm not exactly sure what that means or where that ground is but it was my understanding that the frames were waxed. Regardless, I'm not sure why they are still mentioning TSB 18-NA-161 which is what they supposedly completed the first time in January.

Still mentioning that the only code found was U0100 for "loss of communication with the ECM." It was from the advisement of GM TAS that the ECM be replaced, so that's what they did.

Invoice.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011