2017 Yukon transmission shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PivotalRex

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Yukon Denali. I'm bringing my truck in on Friday to the dealer for the 8 speed shudder. Truck has 31,800 miles and just started the shudder 2 weeks ago, now it's every day.

My 3 yr/36 month is up in a week. I've read there is TSB for the shocks, made them aware of the hard brake pedal (vacuum loss) so they'll be fixing that. Anything else I should try and have them address?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PivotalRex

Reaction score
It's happening at a steady speed between 35 -50 mph on a local road. One road has the slightest incline and that makes the shudder constant. I would have to take it out tonight and hit the highway to see if it does it at higher speeds. This only started 2 weeks ago but went from barely happening to constant over the last week.

Are you thinking the torque converter? Or something else?

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Yukon Denali. I'm bringing my truck in on Friday to the dealer for the 8 speed shudder. Truck has 31,800 miles and just started the shudder 2 weeks ago, now it's every day.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They performed the TSB trans fluid change and also reprogramed the TCM on my 2015 Denali with the 8 speed, this would have been around 48K-ish miles. Surprisingly it took care of the issue and currently at 99K and the shudder issue hasn’t came back.

I do know sometimes it can be an issue with the torque converter and some guys had that replaced also. Dealer did not replace the torque converter on my vehicle and the problem was solved.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's happening at a steady speed between 35 -50 mph on a local road. One road has the slightest incline and that makes the shudder constant. I would have to take it out tonight and hit the highway to see if it does it at higher speeds. This only started 2 weeks ago but went from barely happening to constant over the last week.

Are you thinking the torque converter? Or something else?
I'm confident that your torque converter is slipping - My previous 2016 6.2 8-speed did exactly the same thing.

OP
OP
P

PivotalRex

Reaction score
I had the flush performed on Friday. They said they have about an 80% success rate with the flush fixing the problem. Service told me to give it 2-300 miles to see if it comes back.

Yeah, unfortunately I don't need that, it started again as soon as I left the dealer. Not as bad mind you, but it's still there.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually the process is flush, converter, then transmission. You will have to stay on top of the Dealer and don't let them pull the old "performing the way it is suppose to.' Good luck getting it sorted out.

Bo Top

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just joined today to figure out what to do with the front suspension on a '16 XL.

But, I've had the 8-speed issues as well. Ours would shudder a lot at lower speeds, I think it was the 1-2 or 2-3 shift. Also, the biggest sign I saw was cruising at 70 mph, the RPM would fluctuate up and down, just a needle width every .5-1 second.

Got a flush and a new torque converter and it runs like it should (GM paid for it). Now my concern is the long term life of the 8L90. Is it going to grenade on me?

Matt Baller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They performed the TSB trans fluid change and also reprogramed the TCM on my 2015 Denali with the 8 speed, this would have been around 48K-ish miles. Surprisingly it took care of the issue and currently at 99K and the shudder issue hasn’t came back.

I do know sometimes it can be an issue with the torque converter and some guys had that replaced also. Dealer did not replace the torque converter on my vehicle and the problem was solved.

I have a 2016 that has this same issue and I am pissed, they are changing the fluid but are not changing the filter. I am being told the old fluid is collecting moisture and that is why they specked out a new fluid. What pisses me off is not changing the filter because they are too cheep and don't give a crap what happens to your 65K vehicle down the line when you are off warranty.

No if ands or but the filter is contaminated with not only the old fluid that collected the moisture in the first place but the milky crap that is created when oil and water are churned together. I was hoping to get 200K miles out of this truck and hand it down to my daughter but this POS will never make it without being a money pit.

Its getting to the point where its not worth buying a car under 100K in miles and paying big money for them just to have a warranty isn't worth it because GM and the dealerships don't care about you.

Previous issues on 2016 Yukon XL:
Cam @ 22K mile
Power running boards@25K miles
heated sets never worked right and don't really get hot on high ( always been there and deal keep telling me it is what it is.
AC condenser @ 45Kmiles fought with GM and dealer over this.
Tail lights 40K miles

Last 3 fords no problems
last 2 Jaguars few issues the dealer was fare to awesome.
2001 Yukon the deal asked that I not bring tis truck back to them.
2009 rusted out on all the door seams and under hood before I could pay it off.

I will never buy GM junk again !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts