2017 Yukon Front differential permanent removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norlan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi
About a 2017 gmc Yukon, the front differential is completely damage inside, the pinion and bearings are melt and I proceeded to remove it in order to be able to use the car because of economic situation I can't afford to repair or buy new, it's my girlfriend car and I removed the CV joints and the shaft bar too but my concern is if there is any safety issue by removing the CV joint spindle frOm the wheels if the center nut supports anything other than that or is safe to drive without it. Thanks so much in advance for the support

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi
About a 2017 gmc Yukon, the front differential is completely damage inside, the pinion and bearings are melt and I proceeded to remove it in order to be able to use the car because of economic situation I can't afford to repair or buy new, it's my girlfriend car and I removed the CV joints and the shaft bar too but my concern is if there is any safety issue by removing the CV joint spindle frOm the wheels if the center nut supports anything other than that or is safe to drive without it. Thanks so much in advance for the support

Depends on the hub design used. One type will work, the other will come apart.

There's a guy here with a Denali that removed the entire 4WD system from his truck and uses it tow his race car. For the life of me I cannot remember his name to call him in here or give you a link to his post.

Hey guys, do you remember this thread? @Galante @iamdub @Rocket Man I think it's from about 2 years ago.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's a guy here with a Denali that removed the entire 4WD system from his truck and uses it tow his race car. For the life of me I cannot remember his name to call him in here or give you a link to his post.

Hey guys, do you remember this thread? @Galante @iamdub @Rocket Man I think it's from about 2 years ago.
I remember the thread but not who it was

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/yukon-down-awd-delete-headers-converter-etc.81191/

OP
OP
N

Norlan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So a AWD 2004 model still uses the same AWD system as a 2017 Yukon XL, even front hubs and axles?
This worries me so much because my lady will be the one driving the truck. There is also a function switch to set the vehicle into 2wd mode or else which is set to 2wd mode now.
I did drive the vehicle a few miles secure that everything would be okay but now it worries me.
Although the front spindle axles don't seem to be that much connected to secure the hub from coming apart because even the center nut seemed very simple to unscrew without that smashed little bent some have for protection. ??? I thought more people would know about these specific things on here, any suggestions where else to go ask. Thank a bunch sincerely

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a AWD 2004 model still uses the same AWD system as a 2017 Yukon XL, even front hubs and axles?
This worries me so much because my lady will be the one driving the truck. There is also a function switch to set the vehicle into 2wd mode or else which is set to 2wd mode now.
I did drive the vehicle a few miles secure that everything would be okay but now it worries me.
Although the front spindle axles don't seem to be that much connected to secure the hub from coming apart because even the center nut seemed very simple to unscrew without that smashed little bent some have for protection. ??? I thought more people would know about these specific things on here, any suggestions where else to go ask. Thank a bunch sincerely

DENALI....
15+ trucks have a selectable 4wd system meaning it has a switch with 2,4h,4l and n. 00-06 trucks have simple awd, no switch, some have a switch with 2wd and awd, 07-14 trucks have straight awd, no switch.

The axle nut and axle stub shaft sandwiches the hub not allowing the hub to come apart.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I thought more people would know about these specific things on here, any suggestions where else to go ask. Thank a bunch sincerely

DENALI....
15+ trucks have a selectable 4wd system meaning it has a switch with 2,4h,4l and n. 00-06 trucks have simple awd, no switch, some have a switch with 2wd and awd, 07-14 trucks have straight awd, no switch.

The axle nut and axle stub shaft sandwiches the hub not allowing the hub to come apart.

Timken's Gen III hubs work for both 2WD and 4WD vehicles. Timken only lists one part number for his 2017 K2 truck. The HA590491. GM and AC numbers are 515160 - FW435 and they do not show one for 2WD and one for 4WD either.

So I did the work for you man, you're good to go until more prosperous times.

OP
OP
N

Norlan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is 2017 Yukon XL awd
I didn't understand exactly if it could be safe to drive as is. I don't have the truck with me as I currently left the state and left the lady stuck with her car without knowing if she can ride it and I'm really worry about this. If I was there I know I could have at least added the top pieces of the axle shaft with the nut and it would be good for a while but that's not the case now and is all lose as it appears on the photos. Please I need more specific advice thank for your cooperation on helping me

0602191610a.jpg 0602191610.jpg 0602191616.jpg 0602191615a.jpg 0602191615.jpg

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2000 Tahoe 4wd. I removed the CV joints too make a 2wd. temporarily. Found out that the bearings will separate and do a lot of damage. Best bet is to take the end of the wheel end off of the axle and bolt it back in as without it there is no support for the bearings.Can bend rotor ,caliper and bracket plus a tow job.The CV joint is not hard to remove from the axle just some clips.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw an 04 Silverado hub come apart from someone taking the axle shaft out. He made a sharp turn and it came apart and caused more damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenTV GUy