2017 Tahoe engine swap, advice appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Seanslane

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did a whole top end rebuilt with new cam lifter springs retainers seals etc
Sourced and machined some 243 heads to replace the 899s
Well under 2,000$ doing the work myself
That motor has over 230,000 on the bottom end
My Tahoes motor has close to 350,000 on the original powertrain
My advice is to rebuild the top end and beef it up some with better than factory parts and let er wobble!
Hey Trey, the work you said you did, is that considered a AFM delete as well? Or is it keeping it as a AFM but stronger parts making it last longer. Sorry if that doesn’t make sense. I’m still reading through all the threads to piece it all together. I should have it all retained and deciphered soon.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take your truck to John at Destroyer Auto in Riverside CA. He changed my engine for $5100 on my 2008 Escalade and gave me a 6 year unlimited mile warranty. He changed it in the summer of 2021 and the engine is better than new. I would also buy all 4 OEM o2 sensors and give it to him to change while he is at it. If you buy the OEM engine mounts x2, tranny mounts, belts (I think he includes belts, ask him), all 3 pulleys and water pump he will change it for free or whatever you want to change when he replaces your engine out. The guy that changed the engine worked for GM for decades. John has the correct GM programmer and does neat and clean work. I already put 30k on the new engine and it sounds perfect, even on cold startup, no ticking whatsoever. When I hooked up the programmer I get all zeros on my fuel trims which means the engine he installed is in perfect condition with no flaws. The new engine includes spark plugs and wires as well. John only does engines and he can get it done in a couple of days. He will pick up your truck for free. John will go through everything and tell you what you need the day he replaces your engine. John can also look at your engine and tell you if he could fix yours instead of replacing too. Tell him Stephan with the 2008 Escalade from June 2021 sent you. If you need a A/C guy I have one also near chino hills. The A/C guy fixed my A/C for $160 when everyone told my it was my compressor. My A/C is doing great for the last 3 super hot summers so let me know. I have also a great driveway mechanic to change anything that could be changed in your driveway. If you have 130k than I would replace the engine because it won’t last much longer. Just call John and let him give you his advice. He is the best engine mechanic in South Cali. My rear seal was leaking on my 2008 Escalade also I had the oil pressure light. I spent 3k trying different things to fix an engine with 190k. I wasted 3k for no reason. The engine replacement might be your best bet.

I just told you what to replace with your engine so you probably will save a decent amount money by buying the parts from GMdirect.com and bringing to John.

John will answer his phone for you 24/7.

The first and last is my old engine and the three in the middle is my new one. John even replaced my header shields for free. He is awesome. I don’t work for him. I live in Texas now and I recently purchased a 2018 Escalade and when my engine fails I will bring it back to Cali to John for sure. I will have him order the engine and when it arrives I will stay in a hotel for 2 days while he changes my engine.

IMG_1868.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1876.jpeg
    IMG_1876.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1874.jpeg
    IMG_1874.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1870.jpeg
    IMG_1870.jpeg
    487.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hey Trey, the work you said you did, is that considered a AFM delete as well? Or is it keeping it as a AFM but stronger parts making it last longer. Sorry if that doesn’t make sense. I’m still reading through all the threads to piece it all together. I should have it all retained and deciphered soon.
Yes afm and dod delete
Used Texas speed parts mainly because the price was right
I had to swap out the camshaft in the process
Along with a new valley cover
New lifters and trays
Did springs retainers and pushrods for preventative maintenance

OP
OP
S

Seanslane

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Take your truck to John at Destroyer Auto in Riverside CA. He changed my engine for $5100 on my 2008 Escalade and gave me a 6 year unlimited mile warranty. He changed it in the summer of 2021 and the engine is better than new. I would also buy all 4 OEM o2 sensors and give it to him to change while he is at it. If you buy the OEM engine mounts x2, tranny mounts, belts (I think he includes belts, ask him), all 3 pulleys and water pump he will change it for free or whatever you want to change when he replaces your engine out. The guy that changed the engine worked for GM for decades. John has the correct GM programmer and does neat and clean work. I already put 30k on the new engine and it sounds perfect, even on cold startup, no ticking whatsoever. When I hooked up the programmer I get all zeros on my fuel trims which means the engine he installed is in perfect condition with no flaws. The new engine includes spark plugs and wires as well. John only does engines and he can get it done in a couple of days. He will pick up your truck for free. John will go through everything and tell you what you need the day he replaces your engine. John can also look at your engine and tell you if he could fix yours instead of replacing too. Tell him Stephan with the 2008 Escalade from June 2021 sent you. If you need a A/C guy I have one also near chino hills. The A/C guy fixed my A/C for $160 when everyone told my it was my compressor. My A/C is doing great for the last 3 super hot summers so let me know. I have also a great driveway mechanic to change anything that could be changed in your driveway. If you have 130k than I would replace the engine because it won’t last much longer. Just call John and let him give you his advice. He is the best engine mechanic in South Cali. My rear seal was leaking on my 2008 Escalade also I had the oil pressure light. I spent 3k trying different things to fix an engine with 190k. I wasted 3k for no reason. The engine replacement might be your best bet.

I just told you what to replace with your engine so you probably will save a decent amount money by buying the parts from GMdirect.com and bringing to John.

John will answer his phone for you 24/7.

The first and last is my old engine and the three in the middle is my new one. John even replaced my header shields for free. He is awesome. I don’t work for him. I live in Texas now and I recently purchased a 2018 Escalade and when my engine fails I will bring it back to Cali to John for sure. I will have him order the engine and when it arrives I will stay in a hotel for 2 days while he changes my engine.

View attachment 400160
Thank you. I appreciate the reply. I have not yet come to a decision on a swap or repair. If I do a swap and buy a GM motor but to have the warranty it obviously has to be done by ASE certified so at that point I really don’t care to much who does it because it will have a warranty. Since I’m in Sacramento it would be a hassle to take it to socal. The motor itself is $5800 so it’s already over my budget. If I buy used motor it’s $2500-$4000 but it’s used. Sounds like best bet is to repair myself in the $2500 range. At least the top end will be done and deleted. Eliminating the AFM problem. Making it a better engine.

OP
OP
S

Seanslane

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes afm and dod delete
Used Texas speed parts mainly because the price was right
I had to swap out the camshaft in the process
Along with a new valley cover
New lifters and trays
Did springs retainers and pushrods for preventative maintenance
Awesome. Yea I would do springs retainers and push rods as well. Seems like they would be the easiest thing to go out on you and easily replaced. Did you say around how much you spent on whole thing? Sorry. I can’t go back and look in this screen.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Thank you. I appreciate the reply. I have not yet come to a decision on a swap or repair. If I do a swap and buy a GM motor but to have the warranty it obviously has to be done by ASE certified so at that point I really don’t care to much who does it because it will have a warranty. Since I’m in Sacramento it would be a hassle to take it to socal. The motor itself is $5800 so it’s already over my budget. If I buy used motor it’s $2500-$4000 but it’s used. Sounds like best bet is to repair myself in the $2500 range. At least the top end will be done and deleted. Eliminating the AFM problem. Making it a better engine.
Again my Tahoe in my profile pic has close to 350,000 miles on it and I’ve already had two lifters “collapse” on my and luckily I was able to bring them back with some marvel mystery oil and running the dog shit out of my motor until the lifter tap cleared up.
I scarred the piston on my Silverado when my valve spring broke and dropped a valve. I buffed it out and sent it! Still holding up good and running like a scolded dog!
41E497EB-C17B-4792-8B72-6392164496DD.jpeg
Cam was around 300$
Lifters and trays another 150$ or so
Springs and retainers another 150$ or so
New gaskets and seals and head bolts another 200-300$
Machine work and rebuilding the heads 350$
243 heads 150$
Pushrods 175$ +\-
I’m sure I’m forgetting some stuff
Prices varies just off the top of my head from what I can remember
I was well under 1500$ to start with but I stripped the head bolt threads out the block causing me to have to buy a head bolt repair kit costing 750$ which put me over the 2,000$ mark but if that wouldn’t of happened I would’ve been around the 1500$ range before fluids tuning etc I’d shoot for atleast 2,000$ to do it right and beef it up while your in there

OP
OP
S

Seanslane

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Again my Tahoe in my profile pic has close to 350,000 miles on it and I’ve already had two lifters “collapse” on my and luckily I was able to bring them back with some marvel mystery oil and running the dog shit out of my motor until the lifter tap cleared up.
I scarred the piston on my Silverado when my valve spring broke and dropped a valve. I buffed it out and sent it! Still holding up good and running like a scolded dog!
View attachment 400171
Cam was around 300$
Lifters and trays another 150$ or so
Springs and retainers another 150$ or so
New gaskets and seals and head bolts another 200-300$
Machine work and rebuilding the heads 350$
243 heads 150$
Pushrods 175$ +\-
I’m sure I’m forgetting some stuff
Prices varies just off the top of my head from what I can remember
I was well under 1500$ to start with but I stripped the head bolt threads out the block causing me to have to buy a head bolt repair kit costing 750$ which put me over the 2,000$ mark but if that wouldn’t of happened I would’ve been around the 1500$ range before fluids tuning etc I’d shoot for atleast 2,000$ to do it right and beef it up while your in there
Nice. Love it. Thank you. I’m definitely leaning towards rebuilding. With or without the delete. I just need to research if it will pass smog in Cali if I delete. Sure I will find it in the Delete threads.

OP
OP
S

Seanslane

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice. Love it. Thank you. I’m definitely leaning towards rebuilding. With or without the delete. I just need to research if it will pass smog in Cali if I delete. Sure I will find it in the Delete threads.
I called the GM technician. They said when you do a delete the changes in the computer that are needed will be detected by California smog stations at time of smog and be an instant fail.
Great.
Last Chevy I buy that’s newer than a 73. These companies are so big they can put out a new design with no real world testing or they do test and know that they will have a %30 failure rate and we can’t do anything about it. Then they charge us to fix it. Companies like this don’t get my approval and definitely not my praise.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Yea I would do springs retainers and push rods as well. Seems like they would be the easiest thing to go out on you and easily replaced. Did you say around how much you spent on whole thing? Sorry. I can’t go back and look in this screen.
It was $5100 for the whole engine with new headers, header shields, spark plugs, belts & wires. John recommended new water pump & mounts so I paid him to do it too. I purchased a transmission shifter cable so he installed it for free. John doesn’t charge for the small thing like wire harnesses or whatever else that is needed to get the work done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvaldez224